<  Device Information  ~  Novatel Expedite E371(Dell Wireless 5084)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
tried the following in the meanwhile ... as per this post ...
and their responses below ...

Code:
15:~$ qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm1 start
The program 'qmi-network' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install libqmi-utils

15:~$ sudo apt-get install libqmi-utils

15:~$ qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm1 start
Starting network with 'qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --wds-start-network=  --client-no-release-cid'...
error: couldn't open the QmiDevice: Cannot open QMI device: Cannot open device file '/dev/cdc-wdm1': Permission denied
error: network start failed, client not allocated

15:~$ sudo qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm1 start
Starting network with 'qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --wds-start-network=  --client-no-release-cid'...
error: couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed'
call end reason (12): (null)
verbose call end reason (2,201): [internal] error
Saving state... (CID: 1)
error: network start failed, no packet data handle
error: couldn't release client: Transaction timed outClearing state...

15:~$ ifup wwan0
ifup: failed to open lockfile /run/network/ifstate.wwan0: Permission denied

15:~$ sudo ifup wwan0
Ignoring unknown interface wwan0=wwan0.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
You can try mmcli -L again to see if ModemManager has detected the cellular card but I doubt it will show up, we're missing something here.

The qmi-network bit probably failed due to missing arguments; I believe you have to put in all of your carrier's info such as the APN and other relevant info. IIRC NetworkManager through ModemManager as of recent releases takes care of this automagically.

Progress though, you have it showing up under /dev which seems right, it's just a matter of properly initializing it at this point.

Play around with qmi-network and mmcli a bit and let us know if you find any error messages that might shed light on the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6439 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
The APN is missing.
That's the required parameter for "--wds-start-network".

Quote:
> Just create a /etc/qmi-network.conf file with:
> APN=your.apn.here

from https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 00165.html

Also see this:
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/li ... ork.1.html

And this:
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/li ... cli.1.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok so I finally got back on my laptop with the card installed and while it functions just fine, a lot of pieces are missing from the tools we've been trying to troubleshoot with thus far.. Here's some output:

usb-devices:
T: Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=05 Cnt=01 Dev#= 3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=ef(misc ) Sub=02 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=413c ProdID=819b Rev=00.00
S: Manufacturer=Novatel Wireless, Inc.
S: Product=Novatel Wireless HSPA
S: SerialNumber=012773000168391
C: #Ifs= 7 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=500mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=option
I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=option
I: If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=option
I: If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=option
I: If#= 4 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=option
I: If#= 6 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=02(commc) Sub=06 Prot=00 Driver=qmi_wwan
I: If#= 7 Alt= 1 #EPs= 2 Cls=0a(data ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=qmi_wwan

lsusb: (it's the "Dell" device)
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 413c:819b Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:6449 Microdia
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 413c:8197 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I haven't really been able to do anything using qmicli and qmi-network, though I think that is due to Network Manager handling everything; I do have a qmi-proxy process running:

# ps aux | grep qmi
root 1080 0.0 0.0 309668 6220 ? Sl 06:55 0:00 /usr/libexec/qmi-proxy
root 5828 0.0 0.0 118492 988 pts/1 S+ 07:24 0:00 grep --color=auto qmi

along with the status out of ModemManager:

[root@rackmobile ~]# mmcli -L

Found 1 modems:
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 [Novatel Wireless Incorporated] 4051

# mmcli --simple-status -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
-------------------------
Status | state: 'registered'
| signal quality: '92' (recent)
| bands: 'dcs, egsm, pcs, g850, u2100, u1900, u850'
| access tech: 'lte'
3GPP | registration: 'home'
| operator code: '310410'
| operator name: 'AT&T'
| subscription: 'unknown'

When I connect it looks like:

# mmcli --simple-status -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
Status | state: 'connected'
| signal quality: '92' (recent)
| bands: 'dcs, egsm, pcs, g850, u2100, u1900, u850'
| access tech: 'lte'
3GPP | registration: 'home'
| operator code: '310410'
| operator name: 'AT&T'
| subscription: 'unknown'

So it seems like it may still be an issue with the modem manager release on ubuntu 14.04 being too old even for the novatel card itself(my original issue); so if you're insistent on that release of ubuntu, you're probably going to have to mess with qmicli and qmi-network to bypass Network Manager. I imagine if you pop the Ubuntu 16.04 liveusb back in, and do the usb ID changes then restart modem manager it'll pick it up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
survient wrote:
You can try mmcli -L again to see if ModemManager has detected the cellular card but I doubt it will show up, we're missing something here.

The qmi-network bit probably failed due to missing arguments; I believe you have to put in all of your carrier's info such as the APN and other relevant info. IIRC NetworkManager through ModemManager as of recent releases takes care of this automagically.

Progress though, you have it showing up under /dev which seems right, it's just a matter of properly initializing it at this point.

Play around with qmi-network and mmcli a bit and let us know if you find any error messages that might shed light on the problem.

Oh sorry ... didn't know there were replies ... must have missed out on the email alerts as i have been busy and marking them read in bulk ...
i had an old Ubuntu 14.04(unity)-(My daily driver OS is UbuntuGNOME 14.04 LTS - i am surprised this gnome flavor of the same version did not pick up this device even as an ethernet in the nm-applet) live SD ... when i booted into it ... surprisingly i saw that even 14.04 LTS has picked up my card as an ethernet device in nm-applet ... exited i followed all the unbind-rebind steps and usb devices lists the device properly bound to option and qmi_wwan.

then i ran your suggested command ... the following is the output ...

Code:
mmcli -L

Found 1 modems:

Is this progress ?
Are we any closer to getting it up and running on my ubuntugnome 14.04 lts ?

PS : however i am unable to find a wwan device when i try to manually add a wwan network connection !!!

------------- UPDATE ------------

just to confirm that my daily driver OS UbuntuGNOME 14.04 LTS too is showing a modem as mentioned above with the command 'mmcli -L'.

and the following is the output for the command ...

mmcli --simple-status -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
Code:
15:/home/muz# mmcli --simple-status -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
error: modem has no Simple capabilities

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Definitely progress. While 14.04 is the end goal, I would still pop in a 16.04 live USB and try to do the same steps to see what mmcli shows and then if restarting the nm-applet does anything(shows it as a different device, etc). If that works then you'll at least know the versions of the components that work with your card and may be able to meet somewhere in the middle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
survient wrote:
;
;
;

So it seems like it may still be an issue with the modem manager release on ubuntu 14.04 being too old even for the novatel card itself(my original issue); so if you're insistent on that release of ubuntu, you're probably going to have to mess with qmicli and qmi-network to bypass Network Manager. I imagine if you pop the Ubuntu 16.04 liveusb back in, and do the usb ID changes then restart modem manager it'll pick it up.

i had the live SD from last attempt of Fedora 25 ... i ran all commands as attempted on 14.04

Code:
~]$ modprobe option
~]$ modprobe qmi_wwan
~]$ echo 03f0 421d > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
~]$ echo 03f0 421d  > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/cdc_ether/new_id
~]$ echo 03f0 421d  > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/new_id
~]$ echo 1-1.5:1.6 > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/cdc_ether/unbind
~]$ echo 1-1.5:1.6 > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/bind

followed by ...

~]$ systemctl restart NetworkManager
~]$ systemctl restart ModemManager

~]$ mmcli -L

Found 1 modems:

Eureka !!!

Attachment:
Screenshot from 2017-02-11 05-07-58.png
Screenshot from 2017-02-11 05-07-58.png [ 22.76 KiB | Viewed 3019 times ]

SO does it bog down to ... this ?
Code:
ModemManager 1.6.2-1.fc25
NetworkManager 1.4.2-1.fc25

Now if only i can get it to work on my UbuntuGNOME 14.04 LTS ... as i just can't afford to upgrade with support extending all the way to 2019 !!!

Any and all help by the community appreciated to have it running on my daily driver OS ... aka ... UbuntuGNOME 14.04 LTS !!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 1175 Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm Location: Koh Samui, TH
aiamuzz wrote:
Now if only i can get it to work on my UbuntuGNOME 14.04 LTS ... as i just can't afford to upgrade with support extending all the way to 2019 !!!

Who do you pay for support and why do you pay for support when you have to solve problems yourself?

Download the latest NetworkManager, ModemManager, and libqmi that are available for 14.04, not that I think it will help you since the versions you can get from Ubuntu Software update probably are too old and newer versions are probably incompatible with your kernel.
LTS does not mean that you will or can get everything that goes into newer kernels, LTS is mainly bug fixes for a long time. Ubuntu doesn't charge for them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
aiamuzz wrote:

Who do you pay for support and why do you pay for support when you have to solve problems yourself?

Download the latest NetworkManager, ModemManager, and libqmi that are available for 14.04, not that I think it will help you since the versions you can get from Ubuntu Software update probably are too old and newer versions are probably incompatible with your kernel.
LTS does not mean that you will or can get everything that goes into newer kernels, LTS is mainly bug fixes for a long time. Ubuntu doesn't charge for them.

Yup ... Agreed ... everything has to be done by ourselves !!!

the big reason i stick to LTS is not for the latest and greatest of updates/developments but rather the custom environment we so painstakingly end up building for our work machines. its for the labor involved in setting up the work environment every 6 month release cycle that i have cozy'd up to the LTS versions.

if it was a recreational machine i would have upgraded by now. My main requirement for my work is 'Coreldraw' and i am a big fan of the environment of Linux machines ... (can't imagine windows and the baggage that comes along(especially the virus et al ... though i have it as alternate boot)) unfortunately Coreldraw does not support Linux hence i use VMWare windows 7 machine to run coreldraw and adobe packages.

I did download kernel 4.x and installed on my Ubuntu 14.04 ... but that broke my vmware ... and i had to roll back !!!

Hence seeking help from the community to get it up and running on my 14.04 ... hopefully !!!

Can i get any help if i post it as a bug ... will it be achievable for 14.04 LTS team and the respective coders for NetworkManager, ModemManager and liqmi to add this to the current version on 14.04 ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
OK ... writing from UbuntuGnome 16.04 LTS ...

the nm-applet however isn't picking(listing) up the device ...
BUT ...
network connection manager is ...

Attachment:
Screenshot from 2017-02-11 11-36-05.png
Screenshot from 2017-02-11 11-36-05.png [ 29.71 KiB | Viewed 3015 times ]

Kernel 4.4.0-21-generic
ModemManager 1.4.12
&
NetworkManager 1.1.93 ... thumbs up !!!

though the nm-applet still not up at listing the device ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
aiamuzz wrote:

Can i get any help if i post it as a bug ... will it be achievable for 14.04 LTS team and the respective coders for NetworkManager, ModemManager and liqmi to add this to the current version on 14.04 ?

No, because new features missing in older kernels/distros is not a bug!
Canonical puts together the Ubuntu distros and they are the ones who decide what should go into it and which bug fixes they later on should pick for inclusion into their updates.
Maintainers of a distro does not like to add new features to a stable LTS kernel, it shouldn't be unnecessary modified because of the risk of introducing new bugs.

The creators of NM, MM, and libqmi has since long left the codebase which was used in 14.04 and they won't be interested in writing something for an old distro. They work with bleeding edge kernels and expect you to update if you want their new work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
aiamuzz wrote:

No, because new features missing in older kernels/distros is not a bug!
Canonical puts together the Ubuntu distros and they are the ones who decide what should go into it and which bug fixes they later on should pick for inclusion into their updates.
Maintainers of a distro does not like to add new features to a stable LTS kernel, it shouldn't be unnecessary modified because of the risk of introducing new bugs.

The creators of NM, MM, and libqmi has since long left the codebase which was used in 14.04 and they won't be interested in writing something for an old distro. They work with bleeding edge kernels and expect you to update if you want their new work.

Oh ... bad news ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_ve ... f_versions

I am puzzled at how canonical is when it comes to kernel selection for their distros ...
Ubuntu 12.04 to 13.04 uses kernel ranging from 3.2 to 3.8 ... and ... suddenly downgrades to 3.11 from Ubuntu 13.10 all the way until 15.04 which sports 3.19 ... after that the jump to kernel 4.2 from version 15.10 all the way kernel 4.8 in version 16.10

beyond my comprehension !!!

so the only option left is to try out various kernels and the backport packages for MM, NM and libqmi ... and i see if end up with a working module on 14.04 !!!

A question !!!

If my Ubuntu 14.04 is picking up the modem ... as below ...

Code:
15:~/WWAN script$ mmcli -L

Found 1 modems:

does it mean the modemmanager version and the current kernel on 14.04 is in the clear as far as its compatibility to this module to have it up and running ?

does it mean i only have to strive for a higher version of Network Manager ?
what about libqmi ... is this in the clear too ?

thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Hahahahahaha ... good news ... real progress ... possibly the 'finish line'(as i am yet to connect to the internet successfully)

If not for a bug in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ... we would have hit this milestone long back ... anyways ... we hit it ... is what matters !!!

seems the environment of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS has all the pre-requisites(except the device ID) for this device ... when i came to this forum i don't remember clearly though but seems the SIM card was never loaded to my laptop while attempting to have this device figured out by the many OS's we've been trying to troubleshoot with(also one other problem was the mmcli -L command you had given detected 'no modem' bcos i used to run it in natural sequence to the other set of bind/unbind commands, turns out the modem manager takes some time to fully start ... the same command when run after a little while populates the modem succesfully) ...

another unknowing deception we were flung with was that the other OS's however where picking up this device as 'ethernet' including Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (unity) besides UbuntuGnome 16.04 LTS, Fedora 25, etc ... but my UbuntuGnome 14.04 LTS flavor would just not list this device at all beyond the basic 'lsusb' and 'usb-devices' ... seems this is why i had been unable to spot this bug.

anyways after getting the device to be listed as 'Mobile Broadband' in Fedora 25 and Ubuntu 16.04 ... i thought i'd insert the SIM to my laptop and test it, when i returned to my daily driver OS UbuntuGnome 14.04 LTS and ran the set of bind/unbind commands casually, unknowingly this time with the SIM inside the laptop ...

Eureka !!! ... I was shocked to find the nm-applet pick up the Mobile Broadband device in the list of network devices ... UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Attachment:
MobileBraodbandDevice.png
MobileBraodbandDevice.png [ 29.69 KiB | Viewed 3012 times ]

while the other OS's through the testing phase listed it without the SIM card in the laptop ... never could we have imagined the missing SIM card as being that missing link to getting this device detected on my daily driver OS !!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:52 am Reply with quote
@survient ...

couldn't have done it without your help and this great site dedicated to help people like us.
can't thank enough !!!

Attachment:
Eureka (On my 3G) .png
Eureka (On my 3G) .png [ 40.75 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

with this 'Mission Accomplished' ... i have no problem whatsoever living with this on my daily driver OS, as i have made a basic shell script which line up all the bind/unbind commands to be run in one go.

Not being greedy ... more geeky ... so the only hiccup was the HP device ID ? if so, is there anyway i can add(or have it added by by the code maintainers) my specific(HP) device ID to the whitelist ?

Appreciate your direction in this regard.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
aiamuzz wrote:
Not being greedy ... more geeky ... so the only hiccup was the HP device ID ? if so, is there anyway i can add(or have it added by by the code maintainers) my specific(HP) device ID to the whitelist ?

bjorn mork has already added it to the mainline linux kernel.
Ubuntu maintainers can pick it up and add it to the kernel of 14.04 if they feel it is useful.