<  Device Information  ~  Huawei E5372 won't connect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I have a Huawei E5372 MiFi device, branded by 3Mobile, 12d1:14fe. When I plug it in I get a message "Unable to mount 3MobileWiFi" (that's the pseudo-CDRom which eventually comes good). Then I briefly get a pop-up that says "You are now registered on the home network" followed by "Disconnected - you are now offline". The OS seems to know I have a mobile signal but I can't connect using NetworkManager or sakis3g. After a while, the device re-starts then goes through a cycle of re-starts.

According to dmesg, the device is being switched into Modem/Networkcard mode with PID 1506. huawei_cdc_ncm recognises it and says "cdc-wdm2: USB WDM device", then renames wwan0 to wwx0c5b8f279a64. (What's that about?)

I last played with this thing on linux a year ago with an older OS and got it working using the wwan0 interface. Now that's gone and it seems it doesn't like being treated as a modem (rather than an ethernet-over-usb device).

Has anyone got one of these to work recently or can give me some pointers to set it up?

Current OS is Linux Mint 18.0 x64 with 4.4.0-64-generic kernel.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Since posting, I have found one reference to this device here: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2145&p=14034&hilit=5372#p14034

@ThomasSchaefer reports it working (in late 2014!) but that may be a different brand. To be fair, I think usb_modeswitch is doing exactly what it should do so maybe this is the wrong forum to ask, but there are people in here who know their MBIMs from their WDMs and NCMs and I'm struggling with that so I hope someone can help.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6360Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
"Working" in this context means: the device is automatically mode-switched.

Unfortunately, all things "modem-manager" and "Network Manager" are not really the focus of this forum. You may want to ask at the Gnome project (often intertwined with Redhat).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
"Working" in this context means: the device is automatically mode-switched.

Thanks, Josh. The answer (for me, at any rate) was to delete all entries in NetworkManager under Mobile Broadband. I think that stops NM sending AT commands which were causing continual re-boots. NM (or something) does automatically send a command presumably on ttyUSB0 which connects the device to the mobile network but all the authentication is handled by the device. I can't figure out whether this results from a udev rule in usb_modeswitch or somewhere else.

Then all you have to do is:

Code:
# ip link set wwx0c5b8f279a64 up
# dhclient  wwx0c5b8f279a64

This is all on version 2.2.5 of usb_modeswitch. It may be a similar story with all the other Huawei MiFi pucks.

Thanks again.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6360Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
usb_modeswitch or its rules file has nothing to do with modem communication.

I suggest that you focus on the companion of NM called modemmanager.

Offline Profile