<  Setup Discussion  ~  Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505) - PPP Widget "No driver found"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

So, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505). It is rooted. Actually, I have SlimKat on it (custom ROM based on AOSP 4.4 KitKat). So, custom ROM, custom kernel (3.4.x -- 3.4.80 to be exact), the whole thing, you know...

I installed PPP Widget, did the settings accordingly, but get the "No driver found" message every time I plug in my ZTE MF190 HSUPA USB stick into the phone (via a working OTG cable, of course). The LED on the USB stick lights red (the device is initializing), then goes green, but PPP Widget is unable to use it.

I have brought the issue to my favorite kernel developer, but I fear we have reached a dead end...

Can you guys please tell me what can I do? Are there files (drivers) I need to place somewhere in /system, or something...? For what it's worth, here's a log file.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
Posts: 1175 Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm Location: Koh Samui, TH
You need driver modules and they must match kernel version and kernel build config exactly so the creator of your kernel must make them for you.

If he is not interested in adding usb driver support to his build or if he doesn't understand how to build kernel modules then I strongly suggest that you look for another mod from a more knowledgeable or more service minded developer.
There is unfortunately way too many push-button "developers" releasing mods.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
You need driver modules and they must match kernel version and kernel build config exactly so the creator of your kernel must make them for you.

If he is not interested in adding usb driver support to his build or if he doesn't understand how to build kernel modules then I strongly suggest that you look for another mod from a more knowledgeable or more service minded developer.
There is unfortunately way too many push-button "developers" releasing mods.

USB Driver support? You mean OTG? If so, the kernel has it - OTG works fine.

There are a lot such "developers", I know... but this kernel dev is no push-button "developer".

So, if kernel version is 3.4.80, I need drivers for 3.4.80 specifically? Are they available somewhere (for the I9505)? Someone made the drivers for 3.4.0 public for the I9505 (which is old as hell), like here viewtopic.php?p=11360#p11360. I put those files in /system/lib/modules, set the permissions accordingly, but still no luck.

Any idea what exact kernel flags need to be turned on?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
Formhault wrote:

So, if kernel version is 3.4.80, I need drivers for 3.4.80 specifically? Are they available somewhere (for the I9505)?

read

Formhault wrote:
Someone made the drivers for 3.4.0 public for the I9505 (which is old as hell), like here viewtopic.php?p=11360#p11360. I put those files in /system/lib/modules, set the permissions accordingly, but still no luck.

Those drivers did not match your kernel build and kernel build exactly but they are the same drivers you need your kernel/mod developer to build for you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Formhault wrote:

So, if kernel version is 3.4.80, I need drivers for 3.4.80 specifically? Are they available somewhere (for the I9505)?

read

I know that topic. But there are no drivers for my phone / kernel version :(.

LOM wrote:
Formhault wrote:
Those drivers did not match your kernel build and kernel build exactly but they are the same drivers you need your kernel/mod developer to build for you.

So, those are the three files I need, but not for 3.4.0, but for 3.4.80...

I don't think my kernel developer can build them for me.

So there's no way this could work with other files than for my specific Linux kernel version, right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Formhault wrote:

So there's no way this could work with other files than for my specific Linux kernel version, right?

No, it can not work with modules build for another kernel version.

I can't see any reason for why your kernel developer can't build them for you if he can build a kernel.
Many of the developers in the xdadevelopers forum include them in their builds and so should yours also be able to do. If not, then he isn't much of a developer and you'd better switch to another mod or to stock firmware for which kernel source and build configs are available for dl from the mfgrs support site.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Formhault wrote:

No, it can not work with modules build for another kernel version.

I can't see any reason for why your kernel developer can't build them for you if he can build a kernel.
Many of the developers in the xdadevelopers forum include them in their builds and so should yours also be able to do. If not, then he isn't much of a developer and you'd better switch to another mod or to stock firmware for which kernel source and build configs are available for dl from the mfgrs support site.

He got it! All he did was turn on CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OPTION flag...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I use the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT P3100. I have the Slimkat rom installed (4.4.2). Any suggestions on what can get the PPP widget working on it? Kernel is 3.0.31- Slim-g1b1aaa8 autobuild@slimgerrit # 1.

There are various kernels version 3.0.31 for which Josh has provided replacement files.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
prabuddhadg wrote:

There are various kernels version 3.0.31 for which Josh has provided replacement files.

The same answer as for the poster above you, ask the creator of your mod to include modem drivers.

Josh does only build drivers for stock rom where he can get the kernel source and the specific kernel config which was used for building the kernel.
It would, even if the above mentioned was available (which it isn't for private mods) , be too many mods to build kernel drivers for. It is a simple task for those who build mods to also build and include modem drivers.

In short: Don't ask for them here you will not get them here.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
prabuddhadg wrote:

The same answer as for the poster above you, ask the creator of your mod to include modem drivers.

Josh does only build drivers for stock rom where he can get the kernel source and the specific kernel config which was used for building the kernel.
It would, even if the above mentioned was available (which it isn't for private mods) , be too many mods to build kernel drivers for. It is a simple task for those who build mods to also build and include modem drivers.

In short: Don't ask for them here you will not get them here.

Thank you for your reply. I have been using Josh's widget for a while now, since ICS and Jellybean. My question was more in the context of Kitkat, which seems to present problems for the Nexus 10 and 7 (2013) tablets.

Also, the kernel version seems to be same for various kernels which had me further confused.

Anyway, your answer suggests that this can get sorted. Thanks again.