<  Setup Discussion  ~  e3372h can I create /dev/ttyUSB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Hello all.
With modeswitch enabled, when I plug my E3372h device in lsusb reports that it has changed from 12d1:1f01 to 12d1:14dc and it shows up as eth1 on my rpi. However I have been trying for hours to try to switch it to serial modem so I can access sms via /devttyUSB0. Is it possible with this dongle or have I been wasting my time. I am stuck and need some advice.

Thanks

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6360Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
No good news for you regarding the serial ports ...

The E3372 is one of the first Huawei modems that does not provide a full PPP port - in any known mode.

On the other hand, it works quite well with "HuaweiNewMode"; you only have to start a dhcp request on the resulting ethernet port (don't know the exact command but there's plenty of information around).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
So I am a bit confused.
Are you saying that I won't ever be able to access /dev/ttyUSB? The whole purpose of me buying it was to be able to intercept sms messages. Have I wasted my money?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure. When I talk about PPP ports, I'm referring to serial ports allowing a full 'transparent' network connection.

At least one serial port provided on the E3372 is capable of working with AT commands. I am not familiar with the process of sending SMS messages over USB modems, but I always assumed that it works by using certain AT command sequences.

There should be plenty of information available though. If there is no application which recognizes the ports on the E3372, you can still experiment with AT commands directly, by using a terminal program like minicom.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
Ah, one important detail. If you don't get any ttyUSB ports at all, it means that your kernel may be quite outdated. In that case, issue the following command after the mode switch:
Code:
# modprobe -v option
# echo "12d1 14dc" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Check my thread at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2657 on how to access the /dev/ttyUSB* devices on this device

You will lost the memory storage device however

Offline Profile