<  Setup Discussion  ~  usb_modeswitch install problem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Hi. I have Irbis tz141 tablet with Android 4.4.2 and I want to use usb_modeswitch for ZTE MF823D 4g modem (with powered OTG cable), but I'm Linux-noob. It is said that I must use # make install command. I have all directories unpacked, have root and terminal emulator. SU command also works. But when I type make install I see sh: make not found. It is said that I must use apt-get or sudo command, but the results are the same: sh: apt-get not found, sh: sudo not found and so on, nothing is found. What should I do? Can you help me?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6361Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
On a normal Android, there are no development tools available. No compiler, no "make" tool.

usb_modeswitch wouldn't work automatically on Android either - its "hotplug" mechanism is totally different from standard Linux. So the set-up to run usb_modeswitch automatically when the modem is plugged in has not been configured for Android.

However, you can try the app "PPP Widget 3" which I provide in Google Play for free. It needs root access with SuperSU, so make sure that app is present and working.

PPP Widget 3 has the mode-switching built in. If you want to try a different app for connecting, you might have to add the target ID of your modem to the ignore list in the configuration.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. Well, it is commonly accepted that modem must be turned to "modem only" mode when used in Android. Does it mean that for using PPP Widget 3 it is not necessary and this program will switch modem to CDC mode regardless of the mode set up in Windows?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6361Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
It's actually better to leave it in default mode with the Windows installer enabled. You can screw it up badly if you tamper around with the permanent settings.

Yes, PPP Widget will do what usb_modeswitch does, and more. It comes with several protocols included, so it can use modem, ethernet and QMI ports.
If you enable logging in the configuration, you get some useful output about how the process of mode-switching and connecting is going (or not ...).

I indeed suggest to use external power for the modem; it may work for a while without it, but that can change if the tablet battery charge level is dropping.

Offline Profile