<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  Chameleon support?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hello,

First I must thank the developer for the great work, I have an Asus Transformer TF101 and a T-Mobile stick based on Huawei E173 and using a custom ROM and kernel it works great (I tested the 0.99 version).

Second, I'm considering using Chameleon as my primary home replacement and launcher and it seems I can only add Chameleon widgets to it. Would it be possible to have the pppwidget as a Chameleon widget or as a standalone app?

Best regards,
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
I just started to use pppwidget yesterday and checked browsing only. Now I'm sitting on a train and for some reason the widgets I can add to Chameleon do not see a working internet connection (browsing with Google Chrome is fine, I could add my Exchange account to the Email app and I can see the network signal in the notification area). Also I checked under settings and it is not logging any mobile broadband traffic. How can I fix this?

Best regards
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
It seems that Chameleon not identifying a valid internet connection is a more generic issue, not related to pppwidget. While I was travelling I had to disconnect the USB stick from the dock of the TF101 and I could not make the TF101 recognize the USB stick since then. Now I'm writing using a bluetooth tethering with my Samsung Galaxy Tab that has a SIM slot (I put the SIM card from the USB stick to the Tab). I have the same issue with Chameleon - the widgets are complaining that they do not see a working internet connection.

My major issue now is that it seems that while last night and early this morning I had no problem using the USB stick now the TF101 would not recognize it at all. Could you give me some hints on how to troubleshoot this? All I see in dmesg when I connect and disconnect the stick is that the TF101 recognizes a 4 port USB hub, not the stick itself...

Best regards,
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6378 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
To be honest, I have no intention to reinvolve myself with proprietary "home replacements".

I just spent several weeks with digging into the Android source code and trying to figure out a way to trick the system into accepting a ppp connection that it did not initiate itself.
We can call ourselves lucky that there was a way at all.

It should be noted that PPPWidget was designed to work on tablets where the manufacturer has explicitely disabled any mobile data network (like on my Iconia A500). That's why I'm telling Android about a mock WiFi connection (which does not exist on low levels) to convince it that it has network access.

Since WiFi network traffic is logged below Java level (native code, kernel drivers), there is no way the USB traffic can show up there. So far, nobody bothered - up to now.
It might be possible by patching the Android OS itself, but my goal from the beginning was to leave the system entirely untouched.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
bupe wrote:
My major issue now is that it seems that while last night and early this morning I had no problem using the USB stick now the TF101 would not recognize it at all. Could you give me some hints on how to troubleshoot this? All I see in dmesg when I connect and disconnect the stick is that the TF101 recognizes a 4 port USB hub, not the stick itself...

I suppose you have tried again after rebooting already.

Hmm, if it worked before, can it be a power problem?
USB modems are usually demanding the full 500 mA that a host port can and may at max provide.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I was able to make the USB stick work by shutting down the Transformer, waiting for a couple of minutes then powering it on with the stick inserted. The stick started blinking even during boot and was able to connect after it started up. However as soon as I had any network traffic I got disconnected (it seems that I have a working connection only when the led on the stick has a solid green light). When it disconnected like this I had some kind of LCP message in the pppwidget log. I'll try to reproduce and give you the full log (pppwidget seems to overwrite the log at every attempt, I would recommend changing this behaviour).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
bupe wrote:
pppwidget seems to overwrite the log at every attempt, I would recommend changing this behaviour.
I don't think I will change this; the logs will pile up if the config setting is 'forgotten'.
It's easy to copy the current log from its folder with a simple file manager.

The behaviour you describe points to a hardware problem. I still think it might be related to USB power.

I suggest running the "dmesg" tool in a terminal emulator repeatedly while plugging the stick or initiating a connection.