<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  Network notification fails on Android TV box

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm doing a Volvo RTI GPS refrofit base on a Beelink M18 Android TV box running Android 5.1.1.

Everything is already integrated in the car and works weel. My last target is to not share my Phone internet but use a Huawei 3G dongle. I have already the dongle and the Sim card. It was tested on Windows 10 and Asus TF701 and works fine.

For my TV box, I use PPP widget 3. When I try to connect using the widget, everything goes well except the last step and I get:

Network notification seems to have failed
limited network access.

Seems that the SU works correcly but something goes wrong. I got the logcat.
This TV box has a Ethernet Gigabit interface and a Wifi interface.

How I could solve this issue? Can you help me?

Thanks for you work.
Attachments:
2016-12-17-17-17-37-filtered.txt [65.98 KiB]
Downloaded 130 times

2016-12-17-17-17-37.txt [449.8 KiB]
Downloaded 124 times

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6439 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
I will check out that problem once I'm back home. Currently I'm travelling.

That logcat gives a hint though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I have looked into the code and into the behaviour on my tablets.

Please be so kind and check the following detail on your box, with the help of a file manager of your choice (I recommend "Total Commander"):

Do you have the folder "/data/local"?
If so - does it contain the files "jc.jar" and "lc.jar"?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Josh wrote:

Please be so kind and check the following detail on your box, with the help of a file manager of your choice (I recommend "Total Commander"):

Hello Josh,

I checked this morning (not so easy because the box is now installed into my car):

- The folder exists
- No *.jar inside

Only RootToolsMounts file and tmp folder.

I checked in my Xperia Z3c (Android 6) phone and it is the same. But I'm not sure that the widget is still installed. Let me check this evening (I have the same box connected on my TV).

Do the files are coming with the Widget or it is originally here with the system?
Attachments:
File comment: Screenshot
DSC_3378.JPG
DSC_3378.JPG [ 140.59 KiB | Viewed 2297 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, there we have the problem ...

The files I referred to are coming with PPP Widget 3. They are supposed to be copied during the install phase (every time the widget is placed on the workspace). This copying is done as 'root', so it should definitely work - unless the permissions of the "local" folder are preventing it.

Can you check these permissions with the file manager? They should read "rwxr-xr-x" or similar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:

The files I referred to are coming with PPP Widget 3. They are supposed to be copied during the install phase (every time the widget is placed on the workspace). This copying is done as 'root', so it should definitely work - unless the permissions of the "local" folder are preventing it.

Can you check these permissions with the file manager? They should read "rwxr-xr-x" or similar.

Ok, I will check it this evening on my home box. As worst case I can extract the files from apk and try to insert it manually fro test purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
ed_bracam wrote:
Ok, I will check it this evening on my home box. As worst case I can extract the files from apk and try to insert it manually fro test purpose.

Sure you can, but please note that I'm trying to fix the problem on a general level, because there may be more users hitting that problem.
For this, I need to know what the exact conditions are that PPP Widget might be confronted with ...

So I would be grateful if you could check the permissions first, before changing anything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
ed_bracam wrote:

Sure you can, but please note that I'm trying to fix the problem on a general level, because there may be more users hitting that problem.
For this, I need to know what the exact conditions are that PPP Widget might be confronted with ...

So I would be grateful if you could check the permissions first, before changing anything.

Yes of course I will do step by step. I have 2 identical boxes. One to integrate and one to use.

I will also start my own kitchen to create a Car purpose interface on Android TV Box (That is cheap, powerful and flexible) . I will have multiple opportunity to re-install PPP widget 3 on fresh installation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:

Yes, the rights are 751. Even if I switch it to 777, no change.

In fact when creating a new widget the widget is stuck on "check access" ("Vérification de l'accès..." in french) and not ask for root access, the root is asked only when the profile is created and really connects.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, the "Check access" phase should never hang - and it should definitely request root access.

Do you happen to have SuperSU Pro installed? It can log the root requests and all root shell in/output.
If not, don't bother. I'll take a hard look at the code first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Hmm, the "Check access" phase should never hang - and it should definitely request root access.

Do you happen to have SuperSU Pro installed? It can log the root requests and all root shell in/output.
If not, don't bother. I'll take a hard look at the code first.

I have standard SuperSU, not the pro. But is now hang from 2 hours. Last time I removed and plugged the key to get the USB dongle discovery and set apn parameters.

Interested by logcat?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:

Yes this is the reason of the problem.

Copying the 2 files + set rights to 751 and the system gets full connectivity.

I'm ready to delete the files and try again if you want.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
It would help if you tried to enter the commands manually that are supposed to be executed during "Check access".
It might be difficult to do that "in situ" - a paired bluetooth keyboard can help a lot in that case, providing better editing and shell history abilities (tab auto-completion, arrow up - you certainly know the drill).

Install "Android Terminal Emulator", in case you haven't done so yet.
Delete the two jar files (with the file manager).
Open up a terminal window, enter "su" to get a root shell.

# cd /data/data/de.draisberghof.pppwidget3/app_bin
# chmod 644 jc.jar
# chmod 644 lc.jar
# mkdir /data/local (ignoring the error)
# cp jc.jar /data/local
# cp lc.jar /data/local
# chmod 644 /data/local/jc.jar
# chmod 644 /data/local/lc.jar

These are the relevant commands. They are issued by PPP Widget without regarding the responses.
In any case, it's hard to think about a possible reason of failure here - unless the opening of the root shell itself is failing to begin with. But then it wouldn't work during connection either.

Edit: it is probably more economical to first conduct the test described in the following post ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
In addition, I have released an update which should indicate a failed access check better.

After the update, it might help to remove all instances of the widget, then place it again from the widget menu, and catch the logcat output immediately after.
This would now show any quirks during the first root shell call.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Now I have SU pro (it's a long time that I use it, it's time to give money to the developers)

The plug-in is stuck every boot to check access step. No access to su is done (no trace of that).

De-plug and plug again the dongle allow to go next steps but I need to wait time before click to connect else it said that there is a problem to dial.

Here the logs of su when the connection is complete (the only moment when the root access is requested)

Be careful, the TV box from china use a light version of Android. The Amlogic 905 processor has very limited amount of interfaces. Maybe some components needed for you tool is missing?

Can you prepare a version with more debug? If you are admin of this forum, I'm sure, you have my mail.

Thanks for your help
Attachments:
Screenshot_2016-12-21-21-35-05.png
Screenshot_2016-12-21-21-35-05.png [ 30.27 KiB | Viewed 2284 times ]