<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  RCA Voyager Pro/Marshmallow/PPP Widget 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Specs: RCA Voyager Pro RCT6873W42KC; Android 6.0; Huawei E397 (unlocked, TMobile)

I realize that root is essential to the PPP Widget series, but there's no clear rooting for this device and there's no stock/custom ROM available.

Still, I'm intrigued at how far I get in connecting since non-rooted Marshmallow plays nice with USB OTG.

Here are the logs:

Jan 31, 2017 12:09:44 PM

Device manufacturer string: RCA
New device on /dev/bus/usb/001/011
Class of interface 0 is 0xFF
Looking at USB device 12d1:1001 with class 255
Device top dir: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1, active cfg: 1
Active configuration ID: 1
Device layout (config 1) - cl:00 sc:00 pr:00
if:0 as:0 - cl:ff sc:ff pr:ff - ir:81 bi:82 bo:01
if:1 as:0 - cl:ff sc:ff pr:ff - bi:83 bo:02
if:2 as:0 - cl:ff sc:ff pr:ff - bi:84 bo:03
if:3 as:0 - cl:08 sc:06 pr:50 - bi:85 bo:04
if:4 as:0 - cl:08 sc:06 pr:50 - bo:05 bi:86

Found 3 serial ports
Opening port type SERIAL

Jan 31, 2017 12:09:59 PM

Starting modem command sequence ...
+CFUN: 1

CONNECT 100000000
Dialling complete

Now start PPP negotiation ...

Local IP:
Peer IP:

Send initial IP packet ...
First IP packet received - we are online
PPP negotiation finished
VPN setup complete

I appear to be fairly connected, but am stuck on "building network"--perhaps there are rooted final steps that I'm not seeing. (I get the same logs with or without Huawei option ticked in configuration; everything else in config is unticked)

At any rate, I'm posting this out of curiosity and proof-of-concept and I certainly don't mean to waste anybody's time, but any follow-up would be much appreciated,

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6317Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
The connection process itself is possible with no root access, up to the point where the "tun0" network device is created.

Unfortunately, two more steps are required:

1. Setting the default network route to "tun0"

2. Convincing Android that it has a working network connection

If you only have 1., you can work at least with some apps which try to use the network without asking Android first. However, it does require superuser permissions - otherwise you hit a brick wall ...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I very much appreciate your fast, informative reply. My connection was not as close as it appeared, obviously. Thank you for explaining the hidden steps.

I'm very hesitant to try and find root for this cheapo tablet. There's little info available and no ROM that I can find.

I guess one good thing is that the Huawei E397 does appear to work with PPP Widget 3 (it does not with Widget 2).

Thanks again,

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6317Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
In case you haven't found it yet, there is some information about the improvements in PPP Widget 3 compared to v. 2 on its FAQ page.

Regarding rooting - with all that I know today I'd check the 'rootability' of an Android device before making any purchase decision ...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the Widget 3 link: since my Huawei E397 did make it through the connections at least, is it safe to assume that the RCA Voyager Pro puts out enough juice to drive a Huawei without additional power? Or do the final steps call for more power?

For 48USD, I couldn't resist the purchase, even with its rooting problems. I'm hoping xda experts can't resist either, and that there is an interest surge in rooting/rom-ing.

Offline Profile