<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  "Prepare device ..." crash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
hello

i have a problem with ppp widget when i plugin my zte mf823 the widget says "prepare device ..." and then it crashes.
i have tryed to enable the verbose output from /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf but no such file exists and when enabling it in the widget there only coms and output when i do not plug in my modem.
but i have a tombstone from the crash.

my tablet is a yoga tab 3 plus (yt-x703f)
Attachments:
tombstone.txt [210.54 KiB]
Downloaded 110 times

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6436 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
I have received automatic crash reports with a similar content, but up to now I had no information when these crashs happen. So thank you for that important bit - maybe I can circle the issue better now.

My main problem is that none of my 12+ Android devices has ever shown this native crash ...

That means I can't directly test any fixing attempts. If you agree I'll give you beta tester status so that you can directly try the fixes without normal users being affected.
In that case I would need the e-mail address you use for Google Play. You can send me a personal message through the forum if you don't want this address to be published.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
ill be happy to help!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I have just uploaded PPP Widget 3 version 1.0.19.

I have tried a fix for the crash, but it is safe for everyone, so I did a normal release (not a beta version).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
i still have the same problem, i submitted the bug report with google, i am thinking about buying another usb modem to test if it is the tablet...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
The problem is certainly not the modem. It's the USB implementation of the tablet.

I have seen your crash - it's a different issue this time. It's possible that the previous one is actually fixed. New try tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
So you have added more crashes if I'm not mistaken.

The old one was there again - so I have looked deeper. It seems that I have found something that may affect devices that use the 64 bit variant of Android.

Again, this is something that concerns all users, so I have released annother normal update (just a moment ago).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
yes i did, but that was because i thught that it was the same bug now i installed the new version as both are still happening i have submitted 2 reports now and trying to explain them better.

could the usb implementation handel a different modem different?
i thinking about the Huawei 4G E3372 because i can get it fairly cheap...
if you need adb access to help you understand this tablet better i can set up teamviewer on my computer with adb.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sth0r wrote:
could the usb implementation handel a different modem different?

I'm not sure about that. We can try to put your current modem in a different 'mode' (set "Alternative Huawei mode" in configuration), but if the crash happens while the modem is still in 'install mode' (during the 'Preparing' phase), there will be no difference - nor will a different modem help ...

Sth0r wrote:
if you need adb access to help you understand this tablet better i can set up teamviewer on my computer with adb.

That wouldn't help much, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
New version 1.1.3 available - the native code was compiled differently, and I added an attempt to 'catch' the crash.

I'm not sure what else I can do if you keep getting the crashes ...