<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  Android N - problem with system notification

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6360Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
O.K., I have collected the respective information from my tablet. It turned out that my "ip link" does not list "tun0:0" either. Also, please ignore the bluetooth (bt-pan) connection, I used this solely for ADB, to create the logs more comfortably from my PC keyboard.

Anyway, the most notable difference seems to be that your "wlan0" shows in the list of devices and that its status is "UP". I'm usually testing PPP Widget while the flight mode is active. In fact, I have the flight mode always on. This prevents regular Wifi scanning in the background. Consequently, I have no "wlan" network device.

It's no problem to activate Wifi and Bluetooth while the flight mode is enabled. Did you ever try PPP Widget while in flight mode?
Attachments:
s3log.txt [7.37 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I have already tried flight mode as you have asked me several posts before.
I'm going to try flashing of system.img as I noticed I might have damaged system binaries from using BusyBox.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Ah, sorry, I'm starting to mix up the timeline with other threads ...

BTW, I have provided a new beta version, "1.3.2 TEST". In this version, I added the "scope link" parameter to the default routing command. This was annother difference between the two logs.

Your's doesn't show the scope setting which means the scope is "global". It's a shot in the dark, but it's worth a try and was easy to do.
Code:
"default dev tun0  scope link"
vs.
"default dev tun0"

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
ip addr still shows scope global
ip route still shows nothing except routes

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, that means that your "ip" tool is ignoring the parameter ...

Is it also a part of the busybox installation?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
As I said I will try flashing original system.img, but for that I need a computer - so Monday morning.
Yeah the BusyBox seemed to overwrote some critical binaries.. unfortunately

PS. Android O is coming :D in four or more weeks

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
On my Android N, "ip" is a full standalone program of 250 kB. Other command line tools are just links to "toybox", the busybox variant on this device.

If you can confirm that your "ip" is a link to "busybox" ("Total Commander" will show you, see "/system/bin"), I will add a warning to the FAQ page of PPP Widget 3.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
The last post gave me an idea:

I provide my version of "ip" so that you can try to replace your's with it. It's ARM 64, so in theory should run on your tablet.

Use "Total Commander" (with root rights enabled of course) to rename your existing "ip" to "off.ip" or anything else. Then copy the other "ip" to /system/bin after unzipping it.

This is easily reversible, and if it works we can check right away if your "ip" is in fact a problem, without flashing the whole system image.
Attachments:
ip.zip [109.77 KiB]
Downloaded 29 times

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
edit: I think I don't have arm64, after checking it its armv7l

1: Yes, many of commands were symlinked to a BusyBox binary (commands which and ls are more comfortable for me) even though I uninstalled the BusyBox binary (not the app)

2: Installing BusyBox usually causes the PPPwidget to become malfunctioning, except the one I'm currently using -> yes, it's finally working, so I suggest adding a warning to FAQs

3: Since I'm using BusyBox now we still have not won this fight till I will try a clean system.img…

4: I will really appreciate a metered parameter in settings, if it will stop GooglePlay from autoupdating (I like that future on WiFi, but my data limit don't)

Suggestion of solving long runs: there is a future of permanent notification in Android, so moving the widget here (as a option) might solve it

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that we have identified the problem!
I have added this issue to the FAQ page - hopefully, people do actually read it ...

It should not be hard to add an option for the "metered" setting. I'll see what I can do.
BTW, in my tablets I have globally deactivated auto-update for Google Play. I only update on demand.

I did not fully understand the point about "permanent notification". Do you have a link maybe?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I just flashed system.img to find out that it's not working again... But ip route shows scope link while ip addr shows scope global, not sure if it's correct
ip --help looks like a full version of what it should be
I dunno what to do here, in logs nothing changed and ..., if you are free this or tomorrow evening (or any time today and tomorrow) I can grant you access to adb via TeamViewer

As the permanent notification I meant this (sorry for misunderstanding): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22555943/android-how-to-create-a-permanent-notification/22557179, especially the link in the answer

edit: but the most downloaded BusyBox (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox) is destroying PPPwidget completely (not just notification), I used this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.busybox.installer - installing it get PPPwidget working fully

edit2: the first edit is more like "was", now installing any BusyBox doesn't change behavior of PPPwidget in any way on first sight

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Bump, any news?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't entirely sure what the last state is regarding your device.

Do you have a "logcat" from after flashing the stock system image, perhaps? I would like to focus on that.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
The last state:
- before flashing system.img BusyBox apps had impact on PPPwidget behavior, one of them had bad impact, another one apparently got PPPwidget system notification to work
- after flashing system.img any BusyBox app didn't have impact on PPPwidget behavior

Now (after a few more flashes):
Tablet has original system.img and boot.img flashed, recovery by TWRP, root by SuperSU, wiped cache and Dalvik
Here is the logcat log with "HERE" mark on "PPPwidget will try aware..."
validation failed errors are logged at intervals of 1/2/4/8/... seconds, thus exponentially
Attachment:
log.txt [35.75 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
It looks like the route is somehow not correctly set. This still points to a problem BEFORE the network notification.
Are there any errors in the SuperSU log of PPP Widget 3?

On the shell level, at least pings to known IP addresses should work (I don't know about host name resolving).

I assume the PPP log confirms "First IP packet received"?

Offline Profile