<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  Modem hangs after a few hours connected

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm using PPP Widget 3 and I can connect to the Internet with it but, after a few hours, the connection stops working. It says "Connected" in the widget, but I have no Internet access. Is there something that I can do to restart the connection when it hangs? I tried to click on the widget again but nothing works. It seems to me that the modem enters in an unavailable state.

Any tip will be very helpful,
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6420 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
Wow, I've never connected with PPP Widget for "a few hours"! Confirms the rule that everything that's possible with a program will be done eventually ...

I suppose you are using external power for the modem, right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Wow, I've never connected with PPP Widget for "a few hours"! Confirms the rule that everything that's possible with a program will be done eventually ...

I suppose you are using external power for the modem, right?

I want to keep it always connected...

No, I'm powering the modem with an Android miniPC that has enought current. Is there something I can do? I was thinking to restart the connection every hour to prevent the modem from freezing.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The cause of the problem is likely the Android power and/or resource management.
This is hard to get a grip on unfortunately - it depends on the respective hardware, the drivers and Android's perception about which of the running processes is essential and which is not ...

Regarding powersave, you can try to enable the option "Disable USB Powersave".

Regarding resource management: no user process is entirely safe from being 'cleaned up' if the system is low on resources.

So I actually agree that it would probably help to 'refresh' with a disconnect - connect sequence. Are you aware that you can control this with an Android intent?

If you haven't done so already, read the FAQs, paragraph "Special Features".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
The cause of the problem is likely the Android power and/or resource management.
This is hard to get a grip on unfortunately - it depends on the respective hardware, the drivers and Android's perception about which of the running processes is essential and which is not ...

Regarding powersave, you can try to enable the option "Disable USB Powersave".

Regarding resource management: no user process is entirely safe from being 'cleaned up' if the system is low on resources.

So I actually agree that it would probably help to 'refresh' with a disconnect - connect sequence. Are you aware that you can control this with an Android intent?

If you haven't done so already, read the FAQs, paragraph "Special Features".

Thank you so much for telling me about the option "Disable USB Powersave". The connection used to last about 4 hours and when it was hanged, the only solution was rebooting the miniPC. Now it's lasting about 8 hours and when it hangs I can restart PPP widget and reconnect.

Yes, I'm controlling the connection with the am command in an Android app.

Now I'm only having one problem: after some time connected, PPP widget does not refresh when the connection status changes. The modem connection is down, but it still says "Connected". Is there something I can do?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
marcosbontempo wrote:
Now I'm only having one problem: after some time connected, PPP widget does not refresh when the connection status changes. The modem connection is down, but it still says "Connected".

Widgets are always somewhat 'detached' from their controlling class. Again, it's likely that some parts of the whole construction are quietly canceled by Android in the wrong assumption that they are not needed anymore.

The current solution is a touch on the widget's icon/symbol which 'wakes up' the controller process. That's not well suited for the sort of automated management that you are striving for, obviously.

A regular "end of connection" should be reflected in the system's network status (by retrieving NetworkInfo). Would it help to have annother public intent that would do the same as a touch on the icon but could be scripted?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Would it help to have annother public intent that would do the same as a touch on the icon but could be scripted?

Yes, for me it would.