<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  Couldn't use internet apps-however,chome browses to internet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
Hi Josh,

First of all, thank you very much for the hard work you put behind PPP widget. It's beyond words that we could appreciate!

My issue is:

Installed PPP widget 3 from Google Play in Lenovo Vibe P1a42 (on Android 6). Connected Huawei EC152 modem. PPP VPN gets established, could browse to internet using Chrome browser. However, none of the internet apps (like Whatsapp, Skype, TeamViewer, etc.) could connect to internet.

Please guide for further troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Can u post there your PPP log for time your connected (connect and copy it) and if you can get the logcat since "PPPwidget3: trying aware system of network connection" to time you disconnect.
It's seems he is not here so this would help him after he will get back.

Have a nice weekend, Nightenom

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Thanks much.

PFA the USB and PPP log - additionally, attached is the screenshot of the IP route command while the modem was connected through PPP.

Sorry, that I couldn't understand the second part about logcat.

Thanks again.

[Screenshot removed, network route is O.K.]
Attachments:
File comment: USB log
USB.log [624 Bytes]
Downloaded 50 times

File comment: PPP log
PPP.log [1.42 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6361Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
The problem is indicated in the PPP log:

"Network notification seems to have failed,
limited network access"

It's not clear why it has failed. The point is that this process uses non-public functions that work for the standard Android code. However, every manufacturer can change it at will, so there is no guarantee it will always work.

Be aware that PPP Widget provides a feature that is not supposed to work from Android's point of view !!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Hi Josh,

Thank you very much for this.

Small query - from the 'ip route' command, it doesn't show any IPs - checked another post in this forum where you gave an ideal output.
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... f=6&t=2386

Could this be a cause?

There is also a settings in More-->VPN -->to use VPN for all network traffic - but the PPP VPN is not available in the list so that I could select.

Since I could connect to internet using the chrome browser - just feel helpless when other internet apps don't work.

You are our only hope - please help - please.

Thanks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6361Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
sosaha16 wrote:
... from the 'ip route' command, it doesn't show any IPs - checked another post in this forum where you gave an ideal output.
Could this be a cause?

No. The problem is the failed network notification.
sosaha16 wrote:
There is also a settings in More-->VPN -->to use VPN for all network traffic - but the PPP VPN is not available in the list so that I could select.

That's not the problem. The problem is the failed network notification.

You can't use actual VPN over PPP Widget 3. Have you read the FAQs?
sosaha16 wrote:
Since I could connect to internet using the chrome browser - just feel helpless when other internet apps don't work.

Use K9 for e-mail. There are probably more apps that don't rely on that network notification.
sosaha16 wrote:
You are our only hope

Seriously: if you rely on a last-resort workaround app which uses undocumented Android functions made by a hobby programmer for any important project, then your planning has not been optimal.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Hi Josh,

At least we could browse internet through the chrome browser, using the modem - this would have been impossible without your work - thank you so very much.

Wish you all the best.

Offline Profile