<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  request advice for my usage case

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
My goal - LTE for my car based tablet. I would also use the modem for my linux or Chromebook laptop.

- Nvidia Shield K1, Android 7.x.
The tablet supports OTG charging and is wired to constant 12V DC. I would use a powered hub to mount a modem, USB DAC, disco ball, etc.

- TMobile LTE/3G service (via Google Fi)

Some questions:

- Has PPP3 been optimized for Android 7.x and LTE?
In a recent post you seem to have a Huawei modem working.

- Are there driver issues with keeping it connected and powered on all the time?
In a previous post, Josh expressed surprise that someone was doing that.

- Does Android automatically switch to wifi when available (like an internal modem), or do I have to force toggle?

- Any issues with running the modem through a USB hub?

- Can anyone recommend a cheap USB LTE band 2/4/12 modem that works with Android 7.x, but also with linux/Chromebook?
E.g., Amazon has the E397u-53 for $30usd.

TIA.

Major props to Josh for creating this wonderful software.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6439 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
mageus wrote:
Some questions:

- Has PPP3 been optimized for Android 7.x and LTE?
In a recent post you seem to have a Huawei modem working.

Android 7 is not yet officially tested. I still have no device running it; there were reports about a partial success with PPP Widget but it's important to note that this success may vary according to maker and model of the device.
mageus wrote:
- Are there driver issues with keeping it connected and powered on all the time?
In a previous post, Josh expressed surprise that someone was doing that.

You may also have read that PPP Widget was not intended to be anything but a plan B to provide the occasional mobile data connection for Wifi-only tablets. The stability depends heavily on the hardware and memory configuration of the host device. Android can kill user level programs at will if memory is low. Also, there are Android and kernel level powersave features which may disrupt the operation of connected USB devices.

PPP Widget tries to fix some of these issues (see config option "Disable powersave") but - as always - there is no guarantee that manufacturers add their own tweaks and create new power trouble ...

That all said, a device with plenty of memory and an external power supply for the modem should result in a fairly stable setup.
mageus wrote:
- Does Android automatically switch to wifi when available (like an internal modem), or do I have to force toggle?

There is no systemic interaction between PPP Widget and the rest of the Android network stack. You'll have to disconnect PPP Widget and enable Wifi.
mageus wrote:
- Any issues with running the modem through a USB hub?

That's in fact the recommended way of operation, especially for smaller Android devices.
mageus wrote:
- Can anyone recommend a cheap USB LTE band 2/4/12 modem that works with Android 7.x, but also with linux/Chromebook? E.g., Amazon has the E397u-53 for $30usd.

I don't have that model, so can't give any advice there. My 4G Huaweis are running fine (E398, E3272, E3372). I'd suggest to avoid the HiLink variants where you have to connect through a browser page.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
Hello, for me, an Android 7 user, I have internet access to all apps except Google's​ ones and some system futures (like system update).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the prompt replies.

Nightenom, I've been following your post. Thanx for the update.

Tethering in 7.x is a hassle. I use Tasker to have my phone automatically tether my tablet when I get in the car. In 7.x, the tether toggle plugin doesn't work, so I have to manually enable tethering. Also, I get the dreaded 'waiting for authorization' bug, and the tablet won't connect to the phone's wifi. I hoped to eliminate these issues with a hard-wired, always-on, modem.

Having to press the PPP widget when I get in and out of the car isn't a big deal.

Couple more questions:

- What exactly does Disable Powersave do?
For example, some programs use a notification icon to keep them from being purged.

- Will PP3 automatically switch to the modem when it detects it connected (or powered on), or do I still have to press the toggle?

- Is there a way to toggle PPP3 with Tasker?

- Nightenom, are you still using the E3372?
What made you pick that modem?

- Nightenom, how long does the modem take to cold boot?
I can wire it to switched power (ignition) or directly to the battery (always on).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
0) Tethering and WiFi hotspot futures are not managed by PPP widget correctly to work with modem in the same time, because we are grateful to Josh for his free-will hobby :)
1) Ask Josh
2) In most of times widget gets waked up by connecting modem (USB device found), but sometimes the system memory killer does its job…
3) Follow the FAQ - widget listen for connect and disconnect commands
4) I bought this modem because of provider (T-Mobile) for price around 40$, probably it is not its full price, I dunno.
5) Usually up to 15secs, I would suggest you to connect it to ignition, but it depends whether you want to use the tablet without starting, like radio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
Thanx for the feedback.

I've done a lot of research on Huawei modems. For future reference, the E397 and E3276 cover LTE band 4 and HSPA frequencies used by T-Mobile. One of the E3276 models covers band 12 also. Unfortunately, these modems are hard to get in the US because of almost no demand. I settled on an E397u-53 for $30usd from Amazon. It's only 50mb/s, but good enough for my needs. The E3276 is a Class 4 LTE modem (150 mb/s) but very hard to find in the US. Since Josh has had luck with the 3xx series modems, I figured I'd give the E397 a shot.

For anyone interested, this site has reviews and specs of most of the Huawei 3G and 4G modems:
https://4gltemodem.wordpress.com/

I'll reply once I get the modem set up.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
I got the E397u-53. It works with PPP3, but system apps have no network access. Same issue as you, Nightenom.

Logs are in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2693