<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  Test feedback

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 25 Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:37 am Website: http://freedune.wordpress.com
V0.95 works quite well! It detected my modem immediately, there was no trouble setting my user ID/pwd, and the connection works like a charm!

Now if only Android recognised the PPP connection method...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6420 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
For full acknowledgement, there seems to be a system component required, something involving "rild" and the central init scripts.

I doubt that I will be able to include all this in an app package - but I'll probably try anyway ...

There are some commands in the package setting system properties upon a successfull ppp network negotiation:

NAME="ppp0"
/system/bin/setprop "net.$NAME.dns1" "$DNS1"
/system/bin/setprop "net.$NAME.dns2" "$DNS2"
/system/bin/setprop "net.$NAME.local-ip" "$IPLOCAL"
/system/bin/setprop "net.$NAME.remote-ip" "$IPREMOTE"
/system/bin/setprop "net.$NAME.gw" "$IPREMOTE"
/system/bin/setprop "net.dns1" "$DNS1"
/system/bin/setprop "net.dns2" "$DNS2"

(The variable values are provided by pppd.)

So the system is at least aware of the basic connection parameters

On my machines I can work with Opera, K-9 Mail, AndFTP with no problem. I have yet to test the Google apps (no spare time with all that coding going on).

I'd be grateful for reports about GOs and NOGOs - I intend to make a list and add it to the PPPWidget page.

Thanks a lot for testing!

BTW, I will never make money from this app, it will be free and with no ads. So your tests were beneficial for "the community" :)

$DNS2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 25 Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:37 am Website: http://freedune.wordpress.com
Hi Josh, we have benefitted greatly from your work on usb_modeswitch. It has made Free computing that much more accessible for everyone.

Regarding the Android quip, what I meant was the lacking PPP connection method definition under the Android framework despite it working under the hood. Dome apps just check this state and return an error.

See http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/adam-g ... g-usb.html

It might mean going into Java and adding and integrating the method. On the other hand, could one fake a connection occurring under the given types and route the data through PPP?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I was talking about the same issue of the failure to signal the working network connection to all apps.

The problem is the hardware-oriented control of the Android OS. PPP connections are meant to be initiated by the RIL daemon coupled with a vendor-specific part. It's not a big problem for manufacturers to add their specific hardware that is built into their device. But it seems to be impossible (at the moment) to tweak this from an app package.

I would like to stay away from changes to the core system of user's devices ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 1 Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:04 pm Location: Belarus
Please remove lcp-echo-{interval,failure} from ppp/peers/gprs, they cause immediate disconnect on my aurora-II tablet with my samsung s3650 phone connected as modem, it timeouts on waiting for lcp-echo. Just removed those two lines - and voila - it works as expected!

Thanks for nice widget anyway :)

Regards
Vasily

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the report!

I will take those lines out in the next release, provided there is no negative impact on my two test machines.

I must say that I looked through many pages on the Net while collecting information about the successful use of pppd on Android. I chose the configuration that worked best on my equipment, but did not test every single setting.

Well, we will see if anyone else starts complaining once these commands are gone. In the worst case I would have to do a device lookup table.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Hi Josh, one user has reported an "activity not found" exception while trying the widget on a Honeycomb ROM. Frankly, I don't know if her kernel has the requisite driver support.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
Hmm, how did she try to "launch" it?

Being a pure widget, it does not have a main activity - it is activated by putting it on the "desktop". I suspect this honeycomb mod provides annother (wrong) method for starting installed apps.