<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  WM8650 Android Netbook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
I am trying it out on my WM8650 Android Froyo netbook. I download and install the latest version 0.96 but cannot open it. There isn't any icon for it in the opening menu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Posts: 25 Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:37 am Website: http://freedune.wordpress.com
huangja123 wrote:
I am trying it out on my WM8650 Android Froyo netbook. I download and install the latest version 0.96 but cannot open it. There isn't any icon for it in the opening menu.

I had the same issue at first, because I didn't realise that it was a widget (although the name is quite clear). Just go to your home screen, long press to bring up the menu, and add PPP Widget from the Widget Option.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6430 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
Hmm, I had even added a note about that "issue" on the PPP Widget page ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Hmm, I had even added a note about that "issue" on the PPP Widget page ...

But mine is a netbook, not a tablet. Therefore no screen to press for a long time. There is no add widget option.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Try right-click on the desktop. I assume you have a mouse.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Try right-click on the desktop. I assume you have a mouse.

OK, I did not have the '+ADD' button to add widget because the Home Screen was full. Some cool feature can be a pain!
Getting closer. I can run the widget but it says "No root access". The netbook was rooted successfully with Z4root. I can become SU in the term emulator.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
You need the current version of the "Superuser" app. Then check if your "su" tool is up to date - you can install the latest one from the opened "Superuser" app.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
Man. Widget works great on Asus TF101 running ICS (Custom ROM). Thanks for that. I have found to issues,

1) Huawei E303s Hilink modem doesnt connect.

2) Google Play Store is stuck at "Waiting for network".

Cheers!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Posts: 25 Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:37 am Website: http://freedune.wordpress.com
mitmeister wrote:

2) Google Play Store is stuck at "Waiting for network".

Cheers!!

Hi mitmeister, as we have been discussing above, there is a 'problem' with the Android framework, which doesn't recognise the sort of connection (PPP) that you make with an external USB 3G/EVDO modem. What this means is that the apps that rely on the Android framework for telling them that the device is connected (all Google Apps and a few others such as BBC Reader) cannot detect the connection. This affects both market downloads and other downloads you might attempt with the browser.

However, you can still use your browser and many other apps. This connection method is useful when you need a quick access to the internet but do not have a mifi/mobile/wifi hotspot readily available.

This is a major disappointment, as it forces you to carry an extra device with its charger cord etc. or depletes the battery on your mobile, or it forces you to buy a 3G enabled device with an extra connection. On the other hand, not all tablets have a full sized USB port and extra large batteries.

I don't think it will be technically difficult for Google to implement an inclusion of the PPP connection method on Android - the underlying system already works fine with it. However, they are expected to act in interest of OEMs who would prefer to sell 3G/4G enabled tablets rather than wifi only devices, and therefore need to be pushed by a large number of Android users t be forced to remove this constraint.

[End of rant]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
mitmeister wrote:
1) Huawei E303s Hilink modem doesnt connect.
Does it say "Prepare device ..." once you plug it in?

What does the connection log say (see config page)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
You need the current version of the "Superuser" app. Then check if your "su" tool is up to date - you can install the latest one from the opened "Superuser" app.

I have given up on rooting. terminal emulator seems to be the only app which can gain root access.
I am trying the manual mode, via commands in the terminal emulator. after executing the usb_modeswitch command with the .conf file for my device, dmesg shows that mode switch is successful but no ttyUSB. No indication of usb-serial being executed. there isn't any usb-serial system file either. i am running android 2.2 froyo. how to tell whether the kernel has built-in usb-serial or not?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
huangja123 wrote:
Josh wrote:

I have given up on rooting. terminal emulator seems to be the only app which can gain root access.
I am trying the manual mode, via commands in the terminal emulator. after executing the usb_modeswitch command with the .conf file for my device, dmesg shows that mode switch is successful but no ttyUSB. No indication of usb-serial being executed. there isn't any usb-serial system file either. i am running android 2.2 froyo. how to tell whether the kernel has built-in usb-serial or not?

Check if the path
Code:
/sys/bus/usb-serial
exists. If not, you could try getting / compiling a module for usb-serial for your kernel and inserting it with
Code:
insmod

You can read my early attempts here and here.

Also make sure you have taken the following step as root:
Code:
mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
huangja123 wrote:
I don't quite understand that. If you can be root in the on-board terminal, your device is rooted. No?

Root access is always achieved with the "su" shell call, in the remote or the on-board terminal or in any other application. The "su" binary in turn asks the "Superuser" app if the calling program has been granted root rights. If not, there is a pop-up window that asks the user for permission. The decision of the user is saved for future calls of that specific program.

PPP Widget is no exception. All the system-related bits are done in a su shell, comparable to running scripts.

Well, if you have a mode-switched modem, you just need to bind the driver. dune provided links about the details.
I would prefer the "option" driver, it is designed for 3G modems, and many models are recognized by it.
If the driver does not know your modem yet, you can easily add it on-the-fly:
Code:
# modprobe -v option
# echo "<vendor_id> <product_id>" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
Don't quite understand the rooting problem. I am leaving that aside for the moment while continuing to work on the 3G link manually.

The problem now is there isn't any drivers for usb-serial or ppp. My kernel version is
2.6.32.9-default. i look into /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default and there isn't any .ko for them. I copied over a option.ko from the link you provided but modprobe complains that the module is not found. same complain when i try to modprobe other modules originally there. something is fundamentally wrong, isn't it? could it be busybox? or root access?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
Try "insmod option.ko" in the folder where the module is sitting.