<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  Gmail not work and signal bar not show the signal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 11Location: VietnamJoined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 pm
Dear Josh

Sorry for a few noob questions, I'm doing on Google Nexus 7 now (I just learn the linux for more than 1 week):

1. If I want to customize the DNS server, Do I change it at /sdcard/pppwidget/ppp/resolv.conf

2. My case, the Internet is working now but (I'm using v 0.97):

a. Gmail not work (cannot send/receive), not sure it is the PPPwidget or anything wrong woth my config. If some one can use Gmail, please let me know.

b. I use a ZTE190 so it uses ttyUSB3 to connect to internet instead of ttyUSB0, the problem is the signal bar is empty, in Mobile network, it's keep searching. I think the Mobile network is looking for ttyUSB0, how to change it to ttyUSB3? Sorry if this question is in wrong section.

Thank you so much for your stuff and your support to everyone.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6329Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
  1. No. The system does not know about this file. It's rather just a byproduct of the included pppd version.
    The DNS is set upon connection from the script file "ip-up" which is started by pppd and gets the values from it via environment variables. I'm "setpropping" pretty much all possible DNS properties from this script.
    If you for some reason want to enter different values, you will have to use "setprop" too.
  2. Version 0.97 attempts to trick Android into accepting the ppp connection natively. Can you download in the stock browser? Install apps from Google Play?
    If not then your OS version may not accept my trick. I assume you are running Jelly Bean, right? I could test up to ICS only.
  3. The mobile/phone subsystem does not know anything about PPPWidget's connection. I recommend to disable mobile data. There is no generalizable way to show the signal strength of any stick so I don't even try.

Note that PPP Widget is mainly intended for tablets with no mobile access.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
Dear Josh
Thank for your reply, could you give me more information:

1. Does PPPWidget use the config/script in /etc/ppp, so I can change everything in here like DNS. If you can, could you give me the full command of PPPwidget do? (I need the exact path and file name to edit).
2. With Gmail. I tested on another Nexus and another USB stick and it works.

Thank you

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
1. No, it doesnt; the paths are all customized to use the app tree. I recommend to set up the "official" pppd included with Android where the paths are standard. There are several tips available, just google "android pppd".

2. So you tested PPP Widget on annother Nexus 7, same OS version, different stick, and it worked?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
1. I will try this way.

2. Yes, different stick works

Thank you.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
You may want to try the latest PPPWidget version 0.99 ...

There was indeed a problem with Android 4.1 which was sorted out in that version.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
You may want to try the latest PPPWidget version 0.99 ...

There was indeed a problem with Android 4.1 which was sorted out in that version.

Dear Josh
Thank you very much for your software.
I'm in Vietnam and is one of the first who try to use USB 3G on Nexus 7 in Vietnam (then found this forum).

I public your software and your forum to one of the most famous Vietnam Tech forum your PPPWidget link and guide user how to use PPPWidget and a little bit about USB_modeswitch (so you can see that this forum will have more users from Vietnam).

All of them (of course me too) send you a "Thank you very much" and wish you have good health and good job to write more nice software.

FYI, this is the guide I wrote, it's in Vietnamese :) http://www.tinhte.vn/threads/1445342/

Bgrds
avnlevent.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
avnlevent, many thanks for the warm greetings ...

I can't read Vietnamese, but it looks like you covered the most important aspects of the mode-switching 'business'.

By the way, PPPWidget is based on the pioneer work that you and others did with using pppd directly on Android for USB devices. So it is you who made the progress possible.

I have not spent any time with translating PPPWidget for other languages than English. Now I'm thinking if I should start with that when I will release version 1.0 on Google Play ...

Maybe I will post the English language file on this forum; it is easy to copy it and replace the English words with annother language. I assume there is some interest to include a Vietnamese translation?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
Dear Josh
I will do the translation job.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
avnlevent, many thanks for the warm greetings ...

I can't read Vietnamese, but it looks like you covered the most important aspects of the mode-switching 'business'.

By the way, PPPWidget is based on the pioneer work that you and others did with using pppd directly on Android for USB devices. So it is you who made the progress possible.

I have not spent any time with translating PPPWidget for other languages than English. Now I'm thinking if I should start with that when I will release version 1.0 on Google Play ...

Maybe I will post the English language file on this forum; it is easy to copy it and replace the English words with annother language. I assume there is some interest to include a Vietnamese translation?

Josh, I'd be more than happy to do the Portuguese translation from English as I'm fluent in both, in the spoken and written form.

Cheers! :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
O.K., you asked for it ... 8)

I have started a new topic for translations in the PPPWidget board.

Offline Profile