<  Device Information  ~  Novatel Expedite E371(Dell Wireless 5084)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
aiamuzz wrote:
Not being greedy ... more geeky ... so the only hiccup was the HP device ID ? if so, is there anyway i can add(or have it added by by the code maintainers) my specific(HP) device ID to the whitelist ?

bjorn mork has already added it to the mainline linux kernel.
Ubuntu maintainers can pick it up and add it to the kernel of 14.04 if they feel it is useful.

Oh Wow !!!
cant thank you guys enough ... @Survient, @LOM, @Josh, and @bjorn mork ...

is there any link to the thread where 'bjorn mork' has requested to add this device to the linux kernel ?
i could follow it up there ... !!!

thanks again guys !!!

started with no hope with such an old thread !!!
amazed by the response ... looks like a small community of 'a few good men' ... this website !!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Posts: 1106Location: Koh Samui, THJoined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
aiamuzz wrote:
is there any link to the thread where 'bjorn mork' has requested to add this device to the linux kernel ?

http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=148525121816693&w=2

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
aiamuzz wrote:

thanks ... Oh ! ... but it isn't a thread ... so how do i follow up ?
and the message itself is cryptic ... :D ... the least i could add is as a reminder / status check ... would it have been a thread .

As it seems like a message format, i am guessing 'Mr. Mork might get a confirmation/acknowledgement mail to his add request !!!

is so ... a post here on the implementation would i help i guess !

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
aiamuzz wrote:
LOM wrote:
aiamuzz wrote:

thanks ... Oh ! ... but it isn't a thread ... so how do i follow up ?
and the message itself is cryptic ... :D ... the least i could add is as a reminder / status check ... would it have been a thread .

It is a thread, link to next message in thread is in the bottom.
There is nothing for you to follow up on, this is a patch for inclusion of the 03f0:421d id in the qmi_wwan driver of the generic linux kernel. The patch was accepted and introduced in kernel 4.9.8

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

It is a thread, link to next message in thread is in the bottom.
There is nothing for you to follow up on, this is a patch for inclusion of the 03f0:421d id in the qmi_wwan driver of the generic linux kernel. The patch was accepted and introduced in kernel 4.9.8

Oh is it ... so this is how the linux nether world thread looks like ?
i guess noobs like us can't be part of it ? ...

so its a matter for Canonical to consider adding it to kernel 3.13 ... chain ... which my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS runs on ?

then canonical is privy to this thread too ?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
aiamuzz wrote:
so its a matter for Canonical to consider adding it to kernel 3.13 ... chain ... which my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS runs on ?

I assume that Ubuntu maintainers at Canonical watches linux kernel development and also reads the changelog when a new kernel version is released so that they some time in the future can release new builds of the kernels they use in their various distros.
You can forget though that they will make a new build just because a new device becomes supported by linux, your 3G card is not an essential part of the hardware needed for running linux.
There are new devices added to the kernel every week but it is not possible for a distro maintainer to issue new builds just because of that, the normal procedure is that if you urgently want to use a device which became supported in linux x.y.z then you should urgently update your kernel to at least x.y.z.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 165Location: Oslo, NorwayJoined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 pm
aiamuzz wrote:

No, no, of course you can. Anyone can take part. Note that we are all "noobs" here.

I just wanted to accellerate the process a bit, since I knew pretty well what to do. Sorry for not considering whether you wanted to submit this yourself. That would have been great.

But if you still like to explore the process further, then there are plenty of requests similar to yours around. And not nearly enough people to deal with them all. Just go ahead and create patches.

Or maybe try some more advanced work, like fixing driver bugs etc? That's usually far more challenging/interesting.

Note that you'll probably have to move to a mainline kernel to do anything serious about this stuff. Anyone can contribute, but for obvious reasons all work is done of a somewhat common development head. Developing on ancient and abandoned versions will not work..

Quote:

Like LOM said: Use your paid support for something.

The patches will go into the v3.12 longterm kernel, so they should be obvious candidates for Ubuntu too. I have no idea how their workflow goes, though. You might want to check that out if the patches don't show up there with the next upgrade.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
bmork wrote:
aiamuzz wrote:

No, no, of course you can. Anyone can take part. Note that we are all "noobs" here.

I just wanted to accellerate the process a bit, since I knew pretty well what to do. Sorry for not considering whether you wanted to submit this yourself. That would have been great.

But if you still like to explore the process further, then there are plenty of requests similar to yours around. And not nearly enough people to deal with them all. Just go ahead and create patches.

Or maybe try some more advanced work, like fixing driver bugs etc? That's usually far more challenging/interesting.

Note that you'll probably have to move to a mainline kernel to do anything serious about this stuff. Anyone can contribute, but for obvious reasons all work is done of a somewhat common development head. Developing on ancient and abandoned versions will not work..

Quote:

Like LOM said: Use your paid support for something.

The patches will go into the v3.12 longterm kernel, so they should be obvious candidates for Ubuntu too. I have no idea how their workflow goes, though. You might want to check that out if the patches don't show up there with the next upgrade.

oh thank you @bmork ... certainly not ... thanks for reporting the patch to the respective branches ...

oh a lot of things i didn't know ... ok so this patch will go into the v3.12 longterm kernel then my ubuntu LTS is on 3.13 kernel ... will the patch reflect in it automatically ... or again its at canonical's discretion ?

let me check and interact with canonical ...

Great community ... !!!

and about the ...

bmork wrote:
"But if you still like to explore the process further, then there are plenty of requests similar to yours around. And not nearly enough people to deal with them all. Just go ahead and create patches." ...

you need to be a coder to create patches isn't it ?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
aiamuzz wrote:
ok so this patch will go into the v3.12 longterm kernel then my ubuntu LTS is on 3.13 kernel ... will the patch reflect in it automatically ... or again its at canonical's discretion ?

The 3.13 kernel is not maintained by linux kernel maintainers so it will not get anything automatically.
From linux kernel maintainers point of view it is a dead (EndOfLife) kernel.

definitions:
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

alive kernels:
https://www.kernel.org/

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
aiamuzz wrote:
ok so this patch will go into the v3.12 longterm kernel then my ubuntu LTS is on 3.13 kernel ... will the patch reflect in it automatically ... or again its at canonical's discretion ?

The 3.13 kernel is not maintained by linux kernel maintainers so it will not get anything automatically.
From linux kernel maintainers point of view it is a dead (EndOfLife) kernel.

definitions:
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

alive kernels:
https://www.kernel.org/

thanks LOM ... i got it ... 3.12 is a LTS hence its still supported until 2017 but 3.13 isn't ... :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
Hi,

been wondering ... how easy or difficult is it to compile my kernel from source after adding my module's device ID's ?

Is that even possible ... i am totally content though, with a script unbinding and rebinding the drivers for my module in under 2 secs ...

but just feeling itchy to tinker under the hood ... but would need your(communities) help ... we can take this on a New Thread ...

the geeky way(with instruction set for noobs) of adding missing device ID's to kernel sources and recompiling it for our own use, without breaking the automatic kernel upgrades(we can recompile every time the kernel version changes to our own kernel version)

something similar to this page, just skimmed it on the surface ...

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... 1rw/AddID/

your views and help as per your time to spare !!!

thanks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

i am back seeking some help ...

I am trying out the Deepin OS ... and its a mesmerizing experience ... every Linux enthusiast should try this once :)

and this is where i need help ... while Deepin OS is a relatively new distro and possibly the reason i am here ... the WWAN card is all loaded out-of-the-box however the network settings/applets/sideloader of DeepinOS is a very stripped down version when it comes to 'Network Settings' there aren't any controls to look into or play with as a result i can't find the WWAN device to initiate connection.

However the following command yields this output ...

mmcli --simple-status -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0

Code:
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
  -------------------------
  Status |          state: 'registered'
         | signal quality: '12' (recent)
         |          bands: 'dcs, egsm, pcs, g850, u2100, u1900, u850'
         |    access tech: 'umts'
  -------------------------
  3GPP   |   registration: 'home'
         |  operator code: '40471'
         |  operator name: 'BSNL MOBILE'
         |   subscription: 'unknown'

is there any command i can run from the terminal to initiate connection to the internet through my WWAN module ?

thanks in advance.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Update :

I installed 'network-manager-gnome' and added the connection with the name 'BSNL/CellOne-bsnlnet' ... but i don't know how to connect the same.

any way i can do that with a shell command ?

thanks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
Hi,

Ignore the above two posts ... turns out i could resolve the said issue by installing network-manager-gnome on my Deepin OS ... and i have the nm-applet back in my systray ... need to report the Deepin bug to their support as their native network applet(and settings) is not picking up the WWAN module.

thanks for looking

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 6274Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
If you should ever need a command line tool for connecting, check out "wvdial". However, it works only with PPP-enabled (serial flavoured) modems like your's.

Several newer modems use different protocols (ethernet-flavoured).

Offline Profile