<  The PPP Widget Family for Android  ~  How to run the app if you can't place the widget anywhere?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to use the PPP Widget to help me with getting my USB modem (D-Link DWM 157) to work on an Android 6.0-based car radio I bought. The radio has a custom launcher that the producers put up on it and is rooted (by them). It supports Google Play Store so I was able to install the widget with no hassle but the problem is, the home screens are locked in a way that prohibits you from adding widgets. No long presses, pinches in or out, nothing works. It's just hard-coded for the launcher to only support two and only two homescreens, one of which always displays their radio and clock widgets (but you can't long press on them to do anything with them like removing, resizing etc.) and the other always displaying 10 app icons (which, again, can only be replaced by other app icons, not a widget).

So is there any way to run the app without placing the widget on the homescreen? It gave me hope cause it asked me to handle my modem when I plugged it in (beforehand the radio just ignored the modem as if nothing was there) but upon accepting, it told me it wouldn't work without the widget - which I am unable to place :( Any tips?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6420 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
There is no way to use PPP Widget 3 without being able to use widgets.

Without that feature, it's not Android. I don't think it conforms to Google's specification.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Yes it is Android :) As I mentioned, it's been thoroughly revamped because of the launcher (with many options hidden/not achievable through the launcher they put on it) but underneath it's a regular Android 6.0 which surely does support widgets. I'm just not able to put them on the homescreen cause a) the actual homescreen is underneath the launcher and b) the launcher equivalent of it does not support widgets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
Posts: 1166 Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm Location: Koh Samui, TH
Tigro wrote:
Yes it is Android :) As I mentioned, it's been thoroughly revamped because of the launcher (with many options hidden/not achievable through the launcher they put on it) but underneath it's a regular Android 6.0 which surely does support widgets.

If the revamp does not conform to Android specifications then by strict definition it is not Android.
A fork of Android maybe but that is not compatible with pppwidget which needs the real thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:01 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Posts: 6420 Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
If the device is rooted, you could try to install a different launcher. Maybe that helps.