Author Message

<  Device Information  ~  Huawei E1756 info

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:44 am
Posts: 23Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:59 am
This modem is the same as E1750
so use the same configure is enough :D

# Huawei E1756

DefaultVendor= 0x12d1
DefaultProduct= 0x1446

;TargetVendor= 0x12d1
;TargetProduct= 0x1001


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:12 pm
Site AdminPosts: 4797Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
Thanks for the new device!

The MessageEndpoint is useful for very old releases only.

Online Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:31 am
Posts: 2Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:19 am
My Huawei E1756c shows up as 12d1:1433 (not 1446) and I've been suffering through setting it up for the past two days. I conceptually understand the usb_modeswitch process, and I've attempted to establish a new "rule" in rules.d which follows the "Newer Huawei Device" configs, but have been unsuccessful in getting it to work.

Although Ubuntu is ostensibly not supported by this device which I purchased from Movistar here in Ecuador, I thought I'd still be able to use this to get online with my netbook.

Any pointers folks could give me would be super helpful. The staff here at Movistar are ready to shoot me (although it could be my rusty Spanish, not the fact that I'm determined to make this work from their lobby. Maybe if I show up for a 3rd day they'll start paying me as an employee ... or call the policia)

Muchas gracias,


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:43 am
Site AdminPosts: 4797Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
Hmm, 1433 is known as a Huawei modem ID - I suspect it is switched all right and you just never see the 1446 storage ID ...

Try this: leave the rules file unchanged and add "1433" to the TargetProductList in

Online Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:47 am
Posts: 2Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:19 am
Thanks so much, Josh.

It took me some time to sort our the wvdial issues to finally connect, but it worked when I put 1433 as a target device and removed my own 12d1:1433 rule from /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/

Now I'm just trying to figure out why it's so darn slow - it's supposed to be a 3.5G network speed, and I'm getting about .10mbps up and down. In searching around, it looks like Linux is considerably slower than windows at driving these devices, and I tried it in a friend's computer here (running windows) and it's definitely way faster in that.

Thanks for keeping this project rocking, and if you have any ideas on upping the speed, let me know!

Merry Christmas from Ecuador



Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:30 am
Site AdminPosts: 4797Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
My first guess is that the stick may be stuck (ahaha) at EDGE speed. Ususally, these things adapt automatically and use the best (fastest) available standard. But most of them have a settings option to limit the connection to non-3G mode.

Either this is the plug-in default of your device (less likely) or your modem init sequence has some unwanted effects. The default init strings of wvdial are targeted at the classical serial modems. I am sure most of them are unnecessary for GSM modems.
Try to reduce them to the setting of the access point - less is more.

Also, check if the modem does the automatic adaption set. There is a GSM command to check/set this, AT+COPS. I'm sure you will find plenty of information if you google for that; I found this instantly: ... -commands/

For testing I recommend using a modem terminal application where you can enter AT commands interactively.

Online Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1
6 posts
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum