<  Device Information  ~  Orange Boston (Android phone) 0489:c004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:41 pm
Although this works by default on Ubuntu Lucid (10.04), I blacklisted the "usb_storage" module in order to avoid auto-switching. I know this defeats the purpose, but I was actually looking for something else when I found this. Maybe it is useful for somebody else that does not have the auto-switching thing working automagically.

Code:
#########################################################
# Orange Boston (aka Apanda A60, GigaByte Codfish, WellcoM A88, Vibo A688, Bell Blaze)
#
# Should work on any of the above-mentioned clones.

DefaultVendor=  0x0489
DefaultProduct= 0xc004

# These are not necessary
#TargetVendor=  0x0489
#TargetProduct= 0xc001

MessageContent="555342431234567824000000800106F2000000240000000000000000000000"

# This setting doesn't seem to make any difference
#NoDriverLoading=1

I am curious - since the usb_storage module automatically switched the device, is the MessageContent above something standard in the USB language? I wasn't able to find it amongs the included device configs.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 am
Site AdminPosts: 4880Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am
How did you find that command ? Did you sniff for it in Linux or Windows ?
This "0xF2" is none of the known SCSI storage commands, that's for sure.

What about the modes of the device - does it have any drivers onboard or is the storage mode used for normal user access ? And after switching, does it expose a modem mode like the other devices in focus around here ?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:32 pm
I used an USB sniffer on Windows 7 x64. What is really odd is that the usb_storage module in Ubuntu 10.04 x86 automatically does this.

The virtual CDROM that it is initially seen as contains an application that switches the device to expose some additional devices - from memory it is:
- ADB Interface (used the access the Android phone shell through the Android SDK tools) under a category of the same name
- A different CDROM drive with the same name (Android SCSI CD-ROM V001 USB Device)
- a disk drive (GOOGLE Mass storage USB Device)
- a modem called Modem over Android C001
- a portable device (flash)

I'll have to check to make sure, but right now I can't because I don't have a micro-USB cable available.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:11 pm
In the meantime I found confirmation about the on-board software after heavy googling.

The point is: it should not be switched automatically in Linux! Unless it gets a special handling in "unusual_devs.h" (part of the "usb-storage" module source) or at some yet unknown place in the kernel.

I will hunt for the ID in several kernel source tree versions once I'm home from work. But it may also be that the on-device Linux has a way to spot to what kind of host system it is connected, which enables it to switch actively.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:00 am
I have just checked with the phone connected to the PC in Windows and the devices listed in my last post are the correct devices exposed after sending the USB command.

About the auto-switch in Linux, I'm certain it is done by the usb_storage module because once that is blacklisted from modprobe the auto-switch function stops working.

It would be interesting to know what that command message is that it triggers the switch, because then I could maybe adapt it to work for the FTM mode of the phone (diagnostics mode used to hack the phone) which initially exposes a device C003 that I wish to switch to C001.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:15 am
I could not find any command specific to this device in the kernel tree (2.6.34.1).

I'm not very familiar with sniffing on Linux; it seems to involve the "usbmon" module, but the output is very compact, to say the least. Everything is abbreviated and you need an explanation text nearby if you're not familiar with the "code".
But this seems to be the way to go if you want to isolate the storage command.

On a side note, I am nagging Orange Austria to provide the kernel source code for the phone which is GPLed and has to be released for compliance.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:21 pm
I tried the same with Orange RO, but I don't really expect them to comply.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:33 pm
After some exchange I got a polite reply from customer service that they would forward my request to the relevant department. I hope bureaucracy is working for us this time.

:roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:17 pm
Any news from Orange?

I just sent an email to license-violation@gnu.org regarding this. I hope this gets things moving.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:10 pm
I was corresponding with the plain customer service all the time, and they referred to me the answer of the legal department that they did not have to provide any source code. This is nonsense of course.

They could refuse to give it to me because in a strict sense I am not a device owner. But they have to offer it to you.

I don't knwo if you followed the discussions about HTC and now Dell being urged to comply with the GPL. Obviously only the pressure of the device user groups was able to get things moving. Maybe you can promote the case in some "Boston" or Orange user forums?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:35 pm
The problem is that the community is devided into zones based on language. Sadly there is no native English speaking forum/community for this phone, and most users don't feel the need to unite under such a forum/community.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:32 pm
I just received annother response from Orange Austria; they said they had contacted Gigabyte, the make of the "Boston" about the source code. But Gigabyte had refused to publish it "because they had modified much of the system components which are not under the GPL".

I answered - for the Nth time - that I was not asking for the Android system code, just for the kernel. I mentioned your notice to "gnu.org" but said I would prefer a mutual solution.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:58 am
Posts: 5Location: a CoruñaJoined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:27 am
hi

this is my first post in this forum: sorry for my english :(

I don't understand what exactly you are talking about the boston phone: does it switch to the "modem mode" in linux automaticaly?

I'm from Spain, I have a Boston Orange and a laptop with W$ 7 and Debian wheezi:
on W$ wen I attach the boston the autorun shows a menu and one of the options is switch to modem to connect the internet
on Linux I use proxoid, who simules a proxy to connect the web, I thing this is a tricke (trap?) and some programs dont run correctly (ej. icedove)

now i'm in linux, tomorrow i can connect with windows and look for the data you thing is better, i'm on the orange forum in spain too, if it is necessary for anything (quelque chose / alguna cosa)

but at the moment i have in w$ this in my notes:
the names of the vendor Fosconn Hon Hai, Google Inc. and Qualcomm HSUSB
Vid 0489, Pid C001, Rev 0224, MI 01 (for mass storage) MI 02 (for modem) (both ruynning at the same time with the c001),
Class ff, SubClass 42, Prot 1

cu tomorrow

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:28 pm
The current status of this thing is that on the tester's system, it switched somehow automatically even without usb_modeswitch installed. But we did not find the cause, so on a different system it may behave differently.

So, if it does not switch immediately on your system, you can use the configuration from the first post.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm
Posts: 5Location: a CoruñaJoined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:27 am
in my Debian the boston switch to C001 automatically, but Network Manager don't recognize it.
would it appear some device like /dev/ttyusb?, it doesnt
would I do something?, sorry, I must go, I'll look for it later...

Offline Profile