Automatic Activation, Hotplug and UDEV, Configuration
kiers

why does it take SO LONG to detect USB dongle?

Post by kiers » 14 Dec 2010, 14:49

Hi all,
I'm running ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx netbook edition. Kernel 2.6.32-generic.
Dongle = zte 2736c.

I've got internet working and everything. Only problem is when plug in the dongle, it takes a FULL FIVE (5) MINUTES for it to finally be ready for use!!! FIVE MINUTES!

Can anyone help debug why the delay? i've got the latest usb-modeswitch 1.1.4. modeswitch-data as well. someone suggested doing rmmod usb_storage to remove the storage mode driver to speed up recognition, but that is not helping it.

under /dev/ files for usbtty0-4 are set up rather quickly upon inserting the dongle. so why the delay in dialer recognizing it?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 14 Dec 2010, 16:32

This is obviously a problem of Gnome's NetworkManager and modem-manager. USB_ModeSwitch can't do anything else apart from providing the ttyUSB ports.

You might try using other dialers, as suggested on the main doc page, paragraph "How to use".

kiers

Post by kiers » 14 Dec 2010, 18:33

Josh wrote:This is obviously a problem of Gnome's NetworkManager and modem-manager. USB_ModeSwitch can't do anything else apart from providing the ttyUSB ports.

You might try using other dialers, as suggested on the main doc page, paragraph "How to use".
You know, windoze actually fires it within seconds. :(

But this brings up interesting point. I read your "other dialers" bit. THank you (clearest explanation yet for shortcomings of NM).
BUT: WHY O WHY does the dongle create FIVE (5!) ttyUSB "dev"-ices under /dev/ ??????

regards.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 14 Dec 2010, 20:33

Well, ask the manufacturer about that.

Usually, only one port is good for connection, the others may provide proprietary control and diagnostic interfaces only usable with the driver for Windoze. As long as manufacturers don't provide Linux drivers or at least documentation about the protocols used, this situation will persist.

kiers

Post by kiers » 15 Dec 2010, 18:08

Josh wrote:Well, ask the manufacturer about that.

Usually, only one port is good for connection, the others may provide proprietary control and diagnostic interfaces only usable with the driver for Windoze. As long as manufacturers don't provide Linux drivers or at least documentation about the protocols used, this situation will persist.
indeed.....i have found (by sending online, live AT modem commands from terminal to each "ttyUSB") that ttyUSB0 is "the one" that responds quickly as a modem. sending standard AT commands to other ttyUSBs only results in terminal prompt "not coming back" forever ie. perhaps like the dreaded delay i encounter when first plugging in the dongle!?

My manufacturer is in China, mate. U speak mandarin? I already half worry if there aint some hidden keylogger inside this stoopid zerocd "feature" from Qualcomm!!

any help scripting around this or somehting similar would be appreciated. I'm no Linux guru, but CAN follow instruction.

thx.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 16 Dec 2010, 22:38

I'm not sure what you mean by "around this" - are you referring to the NetworkManager detection?

kiers

Post by kiers » 19 Dec 2010, 17:45

Josh wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "around this" - are you referring to the NetworkManager detection?
around this NetworkManager detection delay...it's even slower on my netbook running ubuntu 10.04LTS

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 19 Dec 2010, 18:06

I googled "disable modem-manager" and found this:

Edit "/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.ModemManager.service" and change the line with "Exec ..." to "Exec=/bin/false".

No guarantee though, it's untested.

kiers

well.....GUARANTEE it man!

Post by kiers » 21 Dec 2010, 03:39

Josh,
what a tip! it worked a charm. i wouldn't have known to look for "ModemManager". I thought it was "NetworkManager" gumming things up.

THANKS mate. windoze RIP.

PS. is there any good reference bible (not for beginners but intermediate onward) on working with these types of Ubuntu OS features that you could reco?