The C Source, Patches and (shudder!) Bugs
Uwe Lück

with Lubuntu, where to send USB_ModeSwitch crash reports?

Post by Uwe Lück » 22 Jul 2015, 13:55

I always spend hours when I try to file a crash report from the apport utility, to launchpad, or …?

I simply have an apport crash report for USB_Modeswitch from yesterday. I cannot really say what the symptoms are or describe bad vs. better behavior of USB_ModeSwitch. I simply have problems with UMTS access that often breaks. It became especially difficult with Lubuntu 14.04.1. In the first instance, it seems that NetworkManager has a particular habit to play practical jokes with me. nm-applet likes to crash. I have filed the latter issue with almost no feedback, and a friend showed me how easy it is to automatically restart nm-applet automatically after each crash (by a script). (Personally, I have accepted the latter workaround as a solution that I do not want to improve.) After that, I though had sessions that I had to finish because I could not find a way to reconnect. (Rebooting typically solves the problem for me, yet it is not an option in my view, it means breaking my current work for several minutes. I really need an installation that „just works“ and doesn't force me every few minutes to try a number of workarounds that I have discovered so far. Sometimes a crash report about ModemManager or also USB_ModeSwitch occurred after rebooting. Often such a report reports as an "unreportable reason:" packages to be updated. (I find it very strange that such packages are not updated automatically.) In those cases, I didn't file a bug report. – At the most recent instance, the apport report did not report stale packages. I thought that's the time to file a bug report. But where? Difficulties I encountered started here.

Cheers, Uwe.

Josh
Site Admin

Re: with Lubuntu, where to send USB_ModeSwitch crash reports

Post by Josh » 22 Jul 2015, 15:10

Uwe Lück wrote:I simply have an apport crash report for USB_Modeswitch from yesterday. I cannot really say what the symptoms are or describe bad vs. better behavior of USB_ModeSwitch. I simply have problems with UMTS access that often breaks.
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have a crash message from USB_ModeSwitch? Or do you just have connection problems?