Activation Codes and Methods, Hardware Details, Sniffing
Post Reply
omgiafs
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 am

Yota / Megafon M100-1 4g modem

Post by omgiafs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 am

Hi!

I'm stuck on the fact that I can not switch the device to modem-only or network card mode.
Parsing log usbsnoop gave me nothing, I did not understand that. ContentMessage was not found by me.

Please help, because I'm trying to get the device to work in 2 weeks

There is device info :

Code: Select all

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

....

Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#=  4 Spd=480  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0408 ProdID=ea42 Rev= 0.00
S:  Manufacturer=Qualcomm, Incorporated
S:  Product=Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM
S:  SerialNumber=353568051106382
C:* #Ifs= 5 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=500mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=84(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=2ms
E:  Ad=85(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 4 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=86(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=2ms
E:  Ad=87(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
Device Vid 0408 (Quanta inc.)
Device Pid ea42

Target Vid 0408
Target Pid ea42 (yes, i know)

device 00 CD-ROM
device 01 debug COM port
device 02 AP control port
device 03 modem
device 04 usb-ethernet

In windows it present as CD-ROM after first plugging.
Yota Router (Quanta 1QDLZZZ0ST2) configuration does not work for this device.

USBSnoop logs in attachment.

Please help!

PS If logs are stupid, i'll make re-capture.

Sorry for my bad english.
Attachments
UsbSnoop.zip
(35.92 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

bmork
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Yota / Megafon M100-1 4g modem

Post by bmork » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:15 pm

omgiafs wrote:Hi!

I'm stuck on the fact that I can not switch the device to modem-only or network card mode.
Parsing log usbsnoop gave me nothing, I did not understand that. ContentMessage was not found by me.

Please help, because I'm trying to get the device to work in 2 weeks

There is device info :

Code: Select all

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

....

Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#=  4 Spd=480  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0408 ProdID=ea42 Rev= 0.00
S:  Manufacturer=Qualcomm, Incorporated
S:  Product=Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM
S:  SerialNumber=353568051106382
C:* #Ifs= 5 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=500mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=84(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=2ms
E:  Ad=85(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 4 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=86(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=2ms
E:  Ad=87(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
This looks like the device is already in the correct mode. Either you have successfully switched it, or it doesn't need usb_modeswitch at all.

The only remaining detail is that there are no drivers attached to the modem functions. If you do

Code: Select all

modprobe option
echo 0408 ea42 >/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
then you should get a number of /dev/ttyUSBx devices which can be used by e.g. ModemManager
Device Vid 0408 (Quanta inc.)
Device Pid ea42

Target Vid 0408
Target Pid ea42 (yes, i know)

device 00 CD-ROM
device 01 debug COM port
device 02 AP control port
device 03 modem
device 04 usb-ethernet
Is this information from Windows? It looks very reasonable based on the /proc/bus/usb/devices above. I assume this means that interface #4 should be handled by the qmi_wwan driver. But I guess you are running a really old kernel since you have the /proc/bus/usb/devices file?

I'll prepare patches for the option and qmi_wwan drivers. Let me know if you are able to test them. No need to worry if you don't want to build new drivers. You can just use the workaround I provided above. The information you provided is good enough for 97% confidence, and we'll just fix it later if we were unlucky and guessed the last 3% wrong. Thanks!

bmork
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Yota / Megafon M100-1 4g modem

Post by bmork » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 pm

bmork wrote:The information you provided is good enough for 97% confidence, and we'll just fix it later if we were unlucky and guessed the last 3% wrong. Thanks!
This was before I looked through the snoop files you provided. They were very useful, increasing the confidence level to 100%. The device appeared with the same interfaces in both dumps, verifying that that the modem does not need mode switching.

And the "after" snoop included this QMI response among other things, showing which QMI subsystems and versions the device supports, leaving no doubt about the QMI support:

Code: Select all

>>>>>> QMUX:
>>>>>>   length  = 87
>>>>>>   flags   = 0x80
>>>>>>   service = "ctl"
>>>>>>   client  = 0
>>>>>> QMI:
>>>>>>   flags       = "response"
>>>>>>   transaction = 8
>>>>>>   tlv_length  = 76
>>>>>>   message     = "Get Version Info" (0x0021)
>>>>>> TLV:
>>>>>>   type       = "Result" (0x02)
>>>>>>   length     = 4
>>>>>>   value      = 00:00:00:00
>>>>>>   translated = SUCCESS
>>>>>> TLV:
>>>>>>   type       = "Service list" (0x01)
>>>>>>   length     = 66
>>>>>>   value      = 0D:00:01:00:05:00:01:01:00:0C:00:02:01:00:06:00:03:01:00:10:00:04:01:00:03:00:
05:01:00:04:00:06:01:00:0A:00:07:01:00:01:00:09:02:00:01:00:0A:02:00:00:00:0B:
01:00:04:00:0C:01:00:04:00:E0:02:00:00:00
>>>>>>   translated = { 
[0] = '[ service = 'ctl' major_version = '1' minor_version = '5' ] ' 
[1] = '[ service = 'wds' major_version = '1' minor_version = '12' ] ' 
[2] = '[ service = 'dms' major_version = '1' minor_version = '6' ] ' 
[3] = '[ service = 'nas' major_version = '1' minor_version = '16' ] ' 
[4] = '[ service = 'qos' major_version = '1' minor_version = '3' ] ' 
[5] = '[ service = 'wms' major_version = '1' minor_version = '4' ] ' 
[6] = '[ service = 'pds' major_version = '1' minor_version = '10' ] ' 
[7] = '[ service = 'auth' major_version = '1' minor_version = '1' ] ' 
[8] = '[ service = 'voice' major_version = '2' minor_version = '1' ] ' 
[9] = '[ service = 'cat2' major_version = '2' minor_version = '0' ] ' 
[10] = '[ service = 'uim' major_version = '1' minor_version = '4' ] ' 
[11] = '[ service = 'pbm' major_version = '1' minor_version = '4' ] ' 
[12] = '[ service = 'cat' major_version = '2' minor_version = '0' ] '}
Thanks again for a very complete and useful report. I have already submitted the patches for the two drivers.


Bjørn

omgiafs
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Yota / Megafon M100-1 4g modem

Post by omgiafs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for the quick and accurate response!

Can you tell to noob, please, how to get to work this modem on android tablet (Android 4.1)?

Also, i confirm my participation in the drivers testing.
Last edited by omgiafs on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmork
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Yota / Megafon M100-1 4g modem

Post by bmork » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:59 pm

omgiafs wrote:Thanks for the quick and accurate response!

Can you tell to noob, please, how to get to work this modem on android tablet (Android 4.1)?
I have no idea. Others will know this better. I guess the main problem there is finding any usable drivers built for the kernel you are running. Take a look in the "PPP Widget for Android" forum. There are a few driver links there

omgiafs
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 am

Re: Yota / Megafon M100-1 4g modem

Post by omgiafs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks!

Post Reply