Activation Codes and Methods, Hardware Details, Sniffing
rogerjames99

Handling mutliple target vendors for the same default vendor

Post by rogerjames99 » 17 Mar 2016, 13:32

Hi,

I have a Virgin Media branded Netgear WNDA3200. This device has DefaultVendor 0x0cf3 DefaultProduct 0x20ff, but needs TargetVendor 0x0846 TargetProduct 0x9018, not the 0x0cf3:0x7010 supplied by the config database . I have handled this by overriding the default 0c3f:20ff config file with a custom one. It would be preferable if I did not have to do this.

I can see that I can have multiple Product ids in a config file using TargetProductList, but I cannot see the same for TargetVendor. Is there any way to achieve this without using a custom config file?

Roger

LOM

Re: Handling mutliple target vendors for the same default ve

Post by LOM » 17 Mar 2016, 19:42

No, we can't have a TargetVendorList since it would then be impossible to know which vendor id and product id belongs together.
It is possible to have more than one config file for a default id and distinguish between them based on the product or vendor name string but I assume your Virgin dongle has Netgears name strings in the default id 0cf3:20ff.

but
you don't need to have the correct Target attributes in the config file, they are only used for usb_modeswitch success check so it can proceed with serial driver loading and symlink creation for 3G modems. Nothing of that applies to your wifi dongle.
The switch message will be sent to 0cf3:20ff and it will switch regardless of what Target id there is in the config file.