Activation Codes and Methods, Hardware Details, Sniffing
LOM

Re: trouble with netgear aircard 779S

Post by LOM » Fri May 12, 2017 6:12 am

rorem wrote:
after more thought - I guess I need to modify qmi_wwan.c again? If so
it still involves compiling a kernel. Avoids the need for an entry in
unusual_devs.h though.
Thanks for testing and good to see that the device can be switched from userspace so we don't
need the kernel quirk for doing it.
I should have suggested this to you initially instead of the unusual_devs patch but I got a brain fart
when seeing the switch message Windows used and the result
"Could not claim interface (error -6). Skip message sending" from usb_modeswitch.
The USB Id 0846:0fff will be included for switching by usb_modeswitch in the next update.

This does of course only solve the switching problem, the device USB Id must still be included
in the qmi_wwan and qc_serial drivers.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Sun May 14, 2017 2:33 pm

LOM wrote:The USB Id 0846:0fff will be included for switching by usb_modeswitch in the next update.
Noted, thanks!

ingenium

Post by ingenium » Tue May 29, 2018 8:49 pm

I just wanted to update this thread with the step by step details of how I got this to work, since the information here was incredibly helpful.

First, if you haven't modified usb_modeswitch to accommodate this device, execute the following every time it's plugged in (or simply connect once via wifi, go to Settings, General, Software and Reset, and uncheck "Install driver when connecting to Windows or MAC computers with a USB cable" under Startup Options):

Code: Select all

usb_modeswitch -v 0x0846 -p 0x0fff -S -W
The file drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.c in the kernel source indeed also needs patched. I submitted this to the mainline linux kernel and the patch was accepted, so it should start working out of the box as of 4.17. I added the following in section 3, around line 1103 in the current kernel as of May 27, 2018:

{QMI_FIXED_INTF(0x0846, 0x68d3, 8)},    /* Netgear Aircard 779S */
You can compile just this module by executing

make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/net/usb
Once built, run:

modprobe usbnet
modprobe cdc_wdm
insmod drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.ko
At this point, it should be showing up as wwan0. To make the interface active and get an IP address, execute:

qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm0 start
dhclient wwan0
If it doesn't work, verify that it shows as connected via:

qmi-network /dev/cdc-wdm0 status