Activation Codes and Methods, Hardware Details, Sniffing
rooneybuk
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 pm

E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by rooneybuk » Fri May 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi All,

I currently have a Telenor branded E8372h-608 this is already unlocked but i'm try to disable HiLink and use the standard serial connection is this possible using usb_modeswitch?

Josh
Site Admin
Posts: 6534
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by Josh » Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 pm

What do you mean exactly by "unlocked"?

Is it "unbranded" (useable with random SIM cards) or is it permanently set to modem mode?

rooneybuk
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by rooneybuk » Fri May 04, 2018 4:42 pm

Josh wrote:What do you mean exactly by "unlocked"?

Is it "unbranded" (useable with random SIM cards) or is it permanently set to modem mode?
Hi, I mean its usable with any SIM, my problem is its in HilLink mode and i want it in modem mode.

LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by LOM » Fri May 04, 2018 5:26 pm

This is not a simple modem, it is a router and most routers can not be switched into serial dialup mode.

There is an alternative usb modeswitch switch message that may work (or not) for most Huawei devices, giving them serial dialup function instead of direct net function.

If it is possible with E-8372 then its wifi will not be working. are you prepared to lose the wifi?

rooneybuk
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by rooneybuk » Fri May 04, 2018 5:52 pm

LOM wrote:This is not a simple modem, it is a router and most routers can not be switched into serial dialup mode.

There is an alternative usb modeswitch switch message that may work (or not) for most Huawei devices, giving them serial dialup function instead of direct net function.

If it is possible with E-8372 then its wifi will not be working. are you prepared to lose the wifi?
Hi, yes I happy do without the WiFi can you provide details on this solution please :)

LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by LOM » Mon May 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Make sure you have usb_modeswitch 2.51 or later installed, then enable HuaweiAltModeGlobal in /etc/usbmodeswitch.conf

rooneybuk
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by rooneybuk » Tue May 08, 2018 10:31 am

LOM wrote:Make sure you have usb_modeswitch 2.51 or later installed, then enable HuaweiAltModeGlobal in /etc/usbmodeswitch.conf
Thanks, for this I've tried the commands but seem to get a strange error, have you seen this before?

Code: Select all

[root@localhost ~]# usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 14db --huawei-alt-mode
Look for default devices ...
 Found devices in default mode (1)
Access device 003 on bus 001
Get the current device configuration ...
Current configuration number is 1
Use interface number 0
 with class 224
Error: can't use storage command in MessageContent with interface 0; interface class is 224, expected 8. Abort

Code: Select all

[Tue May  8 09:29:34 2018] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
[Tue May  8 09:29:34 2018] rndis_host 1-1:1.0 ens35u1: unregister 'rndis_host' usb-0000:02:03.0-1, RNDIS device
[Tue May  8 09:29:34 2018] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
[Tue May  8 09:29:34 2018] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[Tue May  8 09:29:54 2018] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
[Tue May  8 09:29:54 2018] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=12d1, idProduct=14db
[Tue May  8 09:29:54 2018] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[Tue May  8 09:29:54 2018] usb 1-1: Product: HUAWEI_MOBILE
[Tue May  8 09:29:54 2018] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: HUAWEI_MOBILE
[Tue May  8 09:29:54 2018] rndis_host 1-1:1.0 eth0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:02:03.0-1, RNDIS device, 0c:5b:8f:27:9a:64
[Tue May  8 09:29:54 2018] usb-storage 1-1:1.2: USB Mass Storage device detected
[Tue May  8 09:29:54 2018] scsi host5: usb-storage 1-1:1.2
[Tue May  8 09:29:54 2018] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): ens35u1: link is not ready
[Tue May  8 09:29:55 2018] scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access     HUAWEI   TF CARD Storage  2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[Tue May  8 09:29:55 2018] sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[Tue May  8 09:29:55 2018] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] 3805184 512-byte logical blocks: (1.94 GB/1.81 GiB)
[Tue May  8 09:29:55 2018] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[Tue May  8 09:29:55 2018] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0f 00 00 00
[Tue May  8 09:29:55 2018] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[Tue May  8 09:29:55 2018]  sdb: sdb1
[Tue May  8 09:29:55 2018] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by LOM » Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 am

12d1:14db is a usb id after switching, you can not switch that further.
The usb id before switching is probably 12d1:1f01 and that is the id you must use in your command.

Disable switching in /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf, replug the device and verify the initial id with lsusb.
Then enable switching again and redo the command using the correct usb id.

rooneybuk
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by rooneybuk » Tue May 08, 2018 11:15 am

LOM wrote:12d1:14db is a usb id after switching, you can not switch that further.
The usb id before switching is probably 12d1:1f01 and that is the id you must use in your command.

Disable switching in /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf, replug the device and verify the initial id with lsusb.
Then enable switching again and redo the command using the correct usb id.

I've tried that also :( i dont seem to be getting much luck.

Code: Select all

[Tue May  8 10:01:30 2018] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
[Tue May  8 10:01:31 2018] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=12d1, idProduct=14db
[Tue May  8 10:01:31 2018] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[Tue May  8 10:01:31 2018] usb 1-1: Product: HUAWEI_MOBILE
[Tue May  8 10:01:31 2018] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: HUAWEI_MOBILE
[Tue May  8 10:01:31 2018] rndis_host 1-1:1.0 eth0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:02:03.0-1, RNDIS device, 0c:5b:8f:27:9a:64
[Tue May  8 10:01:31 2018] usb-storage 1-1:1.2: USB Mass Storage device detected
[Tue May  8 10:01:31 2018] scsi host6: usb-storage 1-1:1.2
[Tue May  8 10:01:31 2018] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): ens35u1: link is not ready
[Tue May  8 10:01:32 2018] scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access     HUAWEI   TF CARD Storage  2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[Tue May  8 10:01:32 2018] sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[Tue May  8 10:01:32 2018] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 3805184 512-byte logical blocks: (1.94 GB/1.81 GiB)
[Tue May  8 10:01:32 2018] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[Tue May  8 10:01:32 2018] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0f 00 00 00
[Tue May  8 10:01:32 2018] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[Tue May  8 10:01:32 2018]  sdb: sdb1
[Tue May  8 10:01:32 2018] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk


LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by LOM » Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Not much use in continuing, in one mode this device has a cdc_ether net interface and in the other mode it has a rndis net interface. None of the modes has serial interfaces.

Josh
Site Admin
Posts: 6534
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by Josh » Tue May 08, 2018 4:23 pm

rooneybuk,

first you have to make sure that you do not see the USB ID 12d1:14db.

Disable usb_modeswitch globally in "/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf" and also enable logging there. The next plug-in should leave some lines in a log file in "/var/log", stating that mode-switching is disabled.

If you don't see a usb_modeswitch log there, it means that usb_modeswitch was never triggered - which in turn means that your modem never appeared in storage mode. The cause may be that it was permanently set to modem mode by a special command - or that it never appears in storage mode to begin with.

If you see the usb_modeswitch log and it confirms that no switching took place, you should see a different USB ID when running the "lsusb" command - probably 12d1:1f01 as LOM suggested.

Now you can try the various options of usb_modeswitch. Just make sure that you re-plug the modem after every attempt.

rooneybuk
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by rooneybuk » Wed May 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Josh wrote:rooneybuk,

first you have to make sure that you do not see the USB ID 12d1:14db.

Disable usb_modeswitch globally in "/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf" and also enable logging there. The next plug-in should leave some lines in a log file in "/var/log", stating that mode-switching is disabled.

If you don't see a usb_modeswitch log there, it means that usb_modeswitch was never triggered - which in turn means that your modem never appeared in storage mode. The cause may be that it was permanently set to modem mode by a special command - or that it never appears in storage mode to begin with.

If you see the usb_modeswitch log and it confirms that no switching took place, you should see a different USB ID when running the "lsusb" command - probably 12d1:1f01 as LOM suggested.

Now you can try the various options of usb_modeswitch. Just make sure that you re-plug the modem after every attempt.
Hi Josh,

Thanks i was able to get to the previous mode, my issue is i was passing the stick through a Windows PC to to Linux VM and it was getting switched before it got to linux.

i got this

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 012: ID 12d1:1f01 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E353/E3131 (Mass storage mode)
so i ran

Code: Select all

usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1f01 -V 12d1 -P 14db --huawei-new-mode
and got

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 013: ID 12d1:14db Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E353/E3131

Code: Select all

[Wed May  9 09:14:03 2018] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 12
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 13 using ehci-pci
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=12d1, idProduct=14db
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] usb 1-2: Product: HUAWEI_MOBILE
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: HUAWEI_MOBILE
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 eth0: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:02:03.0-2, CDC Ethernet Device, 0c:5b:8f:27:9a:64
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] usb-storage 1-2:1.2: USB Mass Storage device detected
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] scsi host14: usb-storage 1-2:1.2
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): ens35u2: link is not ready
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 ens35u2: kevent 12 may have been dropped
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 ens35u2: kevent 12 may have been dropped
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 ens35u2: kevent 12 may have been dropped
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 ens35u2: kevent 11 may have been dropped
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): ens35u2: link is not ready
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): ens35u2: link becomes ready
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 ens35u2: kevent 12 may have been dropped
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 ens35u2: kevent 12 may have been dropped
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 ens35u2: kevent 12 may have been dropped
[Wed May  9 09:14:04 2018] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 ens35u2: kevent 12 may have been dropped
[Wed May  9 09:14:05 2018] scsi 14:0:0:0: Direct-Access     HUAWEI   TF CARD Storage  2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[Wed May  9 09:14:05 2018] sd 14:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[Wed May  9 09:14:05 2018] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
so it look like im stuck with cdc_ether unless you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the help

Josh
Site Admin
Posts: 6534
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink

Post by Josh » Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Did you also try the 'normal' Huawei mode? It's possible that usb_modeswitch was never able to issue it because the modem was pre-switched in Windows.

So if you haven't done so yet, try --huawei-new-mode on the modem in default mode.

rooneybuk
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink [Solved]

Post by rooneybuk » Thu May 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Josh wrote:Did you also try the 'normal' Huawei mode? It's possible that usb_modeswitch was never able to issue it because the modem was pre-switched in Windows.

So if you haven't done so yet, try --huawei-new-mode on the modem in default mode.
This has worked!

Code: Select all

usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1f01 -V 12d1 -P 14db --huawei-alt-mode
its actually put the device in to

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 014: ID 12d1:155e Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

Code: Select all

ls -alh /dev/ttyUSB*
crw-rw----. 1 root dialout 188, 0 May  8 17:05 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw----. 1 root dialout 188, 1 May  8 16:59 /dev/ttyUSB1
crw-rw----. 1 root dialout 188, 2 May  8 16:59 /dev/ttyUSB2
and i'm able to issue AT command to /dev/ttyUSB0 e.g ATI , ATD etc etc the only downside is i'm not able to use AT^SETPORT to set it to modem mode always, i guess this is beyond this forums.

Code: Select all

AT^GETPORTMODE

^GETPORTMODE: TYPE: WCDMA: huawei,,3g_modem:0,3g_diag:1,pcui:2,ncm:3
Thanks for the help :D

Josh
Site Admin
Posts: 6534
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 am

Re: E8372h-608 disabling HiLink [Solved]

Post by Josh » Fri May 11, 2018 8:29 pm

rooneybuk wrote:the only downside is i'm not able to use AT^SETPORT to set it to modem mode always, i guess this is beyond this forums.
I never recommend this if usb_modeswitch works reliably. There is much that can go wrong with that command, and you keep all options by mode-switching it dynamically.

Post Reply