Activation Codes and Methods, Hardware Details, Sniffing
LOM

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by LOM » 22 May 2019, 02:55

The qmi cmd you sent went out but the MIFI didn't answer and qmicli doesn't care.
qmiproxy on the other hand is probably doing some initial communication and gets very upset by not getting a reply.
I guess that the qmi connection inside the MIFI has to be enabled some way or another so we'd better take a step backwards and do the USB sniffing under Windows before continuing with qmi cmds.

If you have not installed the Windows connection manager then Switch.exe could be the one responsible for bringing the net interface into work. I asked you about a setting in the MIFI's web pages for changing mode or enable USB tethering but it is quite possible that this is done with a proprietary AT cmd on intertface #0 after Switch.exe has done the mode switching.

wodgey

Post by wodgey » 23 May 2019, 00:57

LOM wrote:The qmi cmd you sent went out but the MIFI didn't answer and qmicli doesn't care.
qmiproxy on the other hand is probably doing some initial communication and gets very upset by not getting a reply.
LOM wrote:I guess that the qmi connection inside the MIFI has to be enabled some way or another so we'd better take a step backwards and do the USB sniffing under Windows before continuing with qmi cmds.
"If you have not installed the Windows connection manager then Switch.exe could be the one responsible for bringing the net interface into work.
yes definitely switch.exe. I suspect it might actually be "usb_modeswitch with the 71 message" wrapped up into an windows executable. I've already grabbed a pcap of that exact exchange but haven;t had the time to investigate what to do with it.
kuwfi.pcap.7z
(6.46 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
LOM wrote:I asked you about a setting in the MIFI's web pages for changing mode or enable USB tethering but it is quite possible that this is done with a proprietary AT cmd on intertface #0 after Switch.exe has done the mode switching.
there is no setting for this in the GUI.

It tethers perfectly well with windows. I have even used windows to run switch.exe and then rebooted to linux ( I have also done this in win10 in virtualbox too, before giving the usb port bck to linux) It shows up with the sd card mass storage present too. qmi-proxy still poops itself! I'. not tried a diferent distro, or different hardware yet. I will do.
I am hopeful that it is just my laptop that is being problematic. ideally I should test it on a raspberry pi but all my sd cards are in use.

LOM

Post by LOM » 23 May 2019, 07:09

wodgey wrote:
LOM wrote:I guess that the qmi connection inside the MIFI has to be enabled some way or another so we'd better take a step backwards and do the USB sniffing under Windows before continuing with qmi cmds.
"If you have not installed the Windows connection manager then Switch.exe could be the one responsible for bringing the net interface into work.
yes definitely switch.exe. I suspect it might actually be "usb_modeswitch with the 71 message" wrapped up into an windows executable. I've already grabbed a pcap of that exact exchange but haven;t had the time to investigate what to do with it.
Look at it in wireshark, frame 50 at 16.844379 contains the "71" switch message.
Not that I expect it will make any difference but use 71 instead of 70 for future tests.

wodgey wrote: It tethers perfectly well with windows. I have even used windows to run switch.exe and then rebooted to linux ( I have also done this in win10 in virtualbox too, before giving the usb port bck to linux) It shows up with the sd card mass storage present too. qmi-proxy still poops itself! I'. not tried a diferent distro, or different hardware yet. I will do.
I am hopeful that it is just my laptop that is being problematic. ideally I should test it on a raspberry pi but all my sd cards are in use.
Which distro are you using and which linux kernel version? Are your libqmi, MM, NM, and qmi driver fairly recent ones?