Activation Codes and Methods, Hardware Details, Sniffing
LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by LOM » Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 pm

wodgey wrote:
I cannot complete this stage

Code: Select all

echo "3-1:1.1" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind

echo "161c f101" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/new_id
as permission is denied.
Permission was denied also for binding the option driver but it still bound creating the 2 ttyUSB devices.
Did you check if dmesg shows unbinding of ttyUSB1 and binding of qmi_wwan/cdc_wdm?

Which linux distro and kernel version do you use?

wodgey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by wodgey » Thu May 16, 2019 12:53 pm

LOM wrote:
wodgey wrote:
I cannot complete this stage

Code: Select all

echo "3-1:1.1" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind

echo "161c f101" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/new_id
as permission is denied.
Permission was denied also for binding the option driver but it still bound creating the 2 ttyUSB devices.
Did you check if dmesg shows unbinding of ttyUSB1 and binding of qmi_wwan/cdc_wdm?

Which linux distro and kernel version do you use?

output when trying to echo those strings into unbind

Code: Select all

root@novo:/home/roger# echo "161c f101" | tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/new_id
161c f101
root@novo:/home/roger# echo "3-1:1.1" | tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind
3-1:1.1
tee: /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind: No such device
root@novo:/home/roger# echo "3-1:1.1" | tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind
3-1:1.1
tee: /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind: No such device
root@novo:/home/roger# echo "3-1:1.1" | tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind
3-1:1.1
tee: /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind: No such device
root@novo:/home/roger# exit
exit

distro = Linux Mint 19.04 Cinnamon. 4.15.0-20-generic



dmesg =

Code: Select all

[ 2058.607390] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 2058.607647] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwp14s0u1: unregister 'qmi_wwan' usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device
[ 2058.644376] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwp14s0u1i1: unregister 'qmi_wwan' usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device
[ 2082.744165] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 2082.900513] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=161c, idProduct=f010
[ 2082.900521] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
[ 2082.900526] usb 3-1: Product: LTE MIFI
[ 2082.900530] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: manufacturer
[ 2082.900534] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 0123456789
               
[ 2082.955371] usb-storage 3-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 2082.955920] scsi host6: usb-storage 3-1:1.0
[ 2082.956098] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 2082.958029] usbcore: registered new interface driver uas
[ 2083.975576] scsi 6:0:0:0: CD-ROM            LTE      Hotspot          2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 2083.976439] sr 6:0:0:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
[ 2083.977134] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x caddy
[ 2083.977140] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[ 2083.977674] sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
[ 2083.978010] sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 5
[ 2084.231809] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
[ 2084.232135] ISOFS: changing to secondary root
[ 2085.551881] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
[ 2086.828192] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[ 2086.978987] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=161c, idProduct=f101
[ 2086.978995] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
[ 2086.978999] usb 3-1: Product: LTE MIFI
[ 2086.979004] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: manufacturer
[ 2086.979007] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 0123456789
               
[ 2087.004724] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
[ 2087.005290] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwan0: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 2a:f3:12:2d:9a:78
[ 2087.008581] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1: cdc-wdm1: USB WDM device
[ 2087.009166] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwan1: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 2a:f3:12:2d:9a:78
[ 2087.035590] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwp14s0u1: renamed from wwan0
[ 2087.073201] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwp14s0u1i1: renamed from wwan1
[ 2088.567841] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2
[ 2088.599866] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2

LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by LOM » Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 pm

wodgey wrote: [ 2085.551881] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
[ 2086.828192] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[ 2086.978987] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=161c, idProduct=f101
[ 2086.978995] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
[ 2086.978999] usb 3-1: Product: LTE MIFI
[ 2086.979004] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: manufacturer
[ 2086.979007] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 0123456789

[ 2087.004724] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
[ 2087.005290] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwan0: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 2a:f3:12:2d:9a:78

[ 2087.008581] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1: cdc-wdm1: USB WDM device
[ 2087.009166] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwan1: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 2a:f3:12:2d:9a:78

[ 2087.035590] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwp14s0u1: renamed from wwan0
[ 2087.073201] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwp14s0u1i1: renamed from wwan1

[ 2088.567841] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2
[ 2088.599866] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2
[/code]
Here you have got 2 qmi_wwan devices where the second one is the right one.
The reason I wanted you to bind the option driver to interface #0 was just to avoid qmi_wwan to grab that interface.
You can try to unbind interface #0 (3-1:1.0) from qmi_wwan.

Does the combo wwan1/cdc-wdm1 work as a network interface? Does ifconfig show wwp14s0u1i1 ?

wodgey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by wodgey » Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 pm

LOM wrote:Here you have got 2 qmi_wwan devices where the second one is the right one.
The reason I wanted you to bind the option driver to interface #0 was just to avoid qmi_wwan to grab that interface.
You can try to unbind interface #0 (3-1:1.0) from qmi_wwan.
I do not understand. How can I do this?
LOM wrote:[Does the combo wwan1/cdc-wdm1 work as a network interface? Does ifconfig show wwp14s0u1i1 ?
unfortunately not, no. :(

LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by LOM » Thu May 16, 2019 2:45 pm

unbind works in the same way for option and qmi_wwan, I gave you the unbind cmd for option on interface #1 before.

so to unbind qmi_wwan from interface #0:

sudo echo "3-1:1.0" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/unbind

Do you have the qmi command line interface (qmicli) installed?

For your info, the windows driver for 161c:f101 list the interfaces as:

MI_00 Qualcomm Application
MI_01 Qualcomm Virtual Ethernet Adapter
MI_02 USB Mass Storage Device

wodgey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by wodgey » Thu May 16, 2019 2:49 pm

LOM wrote:Afterh having switched the dongle then bind the serial driver (named option) to the interfaces:

echo "161c f101" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id.
^^^
The above change didn't take due to permissions being denied.

Code: Select all

echo "161c f101" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
seems to have worked though. I will reboot and repeat the switch/modprobe shuffle.

keeping fingers crossed

LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by LOM » Thu May 16, 2019 3:04 pm

wodgey wrote:
LOM wrote:Afterh having switched the dongle then bind the serial driver (named option) to the interfaces:

echo "161c f101" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id.
^^^
The above change didn't take due to permissions being denied.

Code: Select all

echo "161c f101" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
seems to have worked though. I will reboot and repeat the switch/modprobe shuffle.

keeping fingers crossed
sudo echo will probably work

wodgey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by wodgey » Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 pm

LOM wrote:
wodgey wrote:
LOM wrote:Afterh having switched the dongle then bind the serial driver (named option) to the interfaces:

echo "161c f101" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id.
^^^
The above change didn't take due to permissions being denied.

Code: Select all

echo "161c f101" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
seems to have worked though. I will reboot and repeat the switch/modprobe shuffle.

keeping fingers crossed
sudo echo will probably work
I've not managed to recreate the same dmesg messages as earlier.


I haven;t been able to get back to this stage since that one time earlier today

Code: Select all

[ 2087.005290] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwan0: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 2a:f3:12:2d:9a:78
[ 2087.008581] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1: cdc-wdm1: USB WDM device
[ 2087.009166] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwan1: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 2a:f3:12:2d:9a:78
[ 2087.035590] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwp14s0u1: renamed from wwan0
[ 2087.073201] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwp14s0u1i1: renamed from wwan1
[ 2088.567841] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2
[ 2088.599866] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2
I presume that I need to complete certain stages before other stages will work??
I have noticed that I am unable to echo the strings into the drivers, dependant on the switched state of the device.
I will take a copy of my bash history and tackle it again tomorrow

wodgey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by wodgey » Fri May 17, 2019 12:22 pm

wodgey wrote:
LOM wrote:
wodgey wrote: ^^^
The above change didn't take due to permissions being denied.

Code: Select all

echo "161c f101" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
seems to have worked though. I will reboot and repeat the switch/modprobe shuffle.

keeping fingers crossed
sudo echo will probably work
I've not managed to recreate the same dmesg messages as earlier.


I haven;t been able to get back to this stage since that one time earlier today

Code: Select all

[ 2087.005290] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwan0: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 2a:f3:12:2d:9a:78
[ 2087.008581] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1: cdc-wdm1: USB WDM device
[ 2087.009166] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwan1: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 2a:f3:12:2d:9a:78
[ 2087.035590] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwp14s0u1: renamed from wwan0
[ 2087.073201] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwp14s0u1i1: renamed from wwan1
[ 2088.567841] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2
[ 2088.599866] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2
I presume that I need to complete certain stages before other stages will work??
I have noticed that I am unable to echo the strings into the drivers, dependant on the switched state of the device.
I will take a copy of my bash history and tackle it again tomorrow
from the very top.
Reboot.
Plug in device.
dmesg shows

Code: Select all

[   51.704086] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[   51.860714] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=161c, idProduct=f010
[   51.860722] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
[   51.860726] usb 3-1: Product: LTE MIFI
[   51.860730] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: manufacturer
[   51.860734] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 0123456789
               
[   51.914067] usb-storage 3-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[   51.914409] scsi host6: usb-storage 3-1:1.0
[   51.914556] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[   51.916795] usbcore: registered new interface driver uas
[   52.931444] scsi 6:0:0:0: CD-ROM            LTE      Hotspot          2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[   52.932275] sr 6:0:0:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
[   52.932779] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x caddy
[   52.932783] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[   52.933090] sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
[   52.933268] sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 5
[   53.191192] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
[   53.191637] ISOFS: changing to secondary root
I then enter the following commands

Code: Select all

roger@novo:~$  sudo modprobe option
[sudo] password for roger:  
roger@novo:~$  sudo modprobe qmi_wwan
roger@novo:~$  sudo modprobe cdc_wdm
roger@novo:~$  echo "161c f101" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/new_id
161c f101
roger@novo:~$  echo "3-1:1.1" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind
3-1:1.1
tee: /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind: No such device
roger@novo:~$  echo "3-1:1.0" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/unbind
3-1:1.0
tee: /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/unbind: No such device
I've run dmesg just to try and understand what is happening more fully
dmesg at this point

Code: Select all

[  210.495513] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[  210.495523] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[  210.501112] usbcore: registered new interface driver option
[  210.501131] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
[  215.910669] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_wdm
[  215.913133] usbcore: registered new interface driver qmi_wwan
then I run the modeswitch and get the following

Code: Select all

roger@novo:~$ sudo usb_modeswitch -v 161c -p f010 -W -M 55534243123456780000000000000606f50402527000000000000000000000Take all parameters from the command line


 * usb_modeswitch: handle USB devices with multiple modes
 * Version 2.5.2 (C) Josua Dietze 2017
 * Based on libusb1/libusbx

 ! PLEASE REPORT NEW CONFIGURATIONS !

DefaultVendor=  0x161c
DefaultProduct= 0xf010
MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000606f50402527000000000000000000000"

Look for default devices ...
  found USB ID 17ef:1003
  found USB ID 8087:0024
  found USB ID 1d6b:0002
  found USB ID 1d6b:0003
  found USB ID 161c:f010
   vendor ID matched
   product ID matched
  found USB ID 1d6b:0002
  found USB ID 04f2:b217
  found USB ID 0a5c:217f
  found USB ID 147e:2016
  found USB ID 8087:0024
  found USB ID 1d6b:0002
 Found devices in default mode (1)
Access device 002 on bus 003
Get the current device configuration ...
Current configuration number is 1
Use interface number 0
 with class 8
Use endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)

USB description data (for identification)
-------------------------
Manufacturer: manufacturer
     Product: LTE MIFI
  Serial No.: 0123456789

-------------------------
Looking for active drivers ...
 OK, driver detached
Set up interface 0
Use endpoint 0x01 for message sending ...
Trying to send message 1 to endpoint 0x01 ...
 OK, message successfully sent
Read the response to message 1 (CSW) ...
 Response successfully read (13 bytes), status 0
Reset response endpoint 0x81
Reset message endpoint 0x01
-> Run lsusb to note any changes. Bye!

and dmesg shows this

Code: Select all

[  494.088273] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[  494.433367] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[  494.589875] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=161c, idProduct=f101
[  494.589882] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
[  494.589886] usb 3-1: Product: LTE MIFI
[  494.589890] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: manufacturer
[  494.589893] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 0123456789
               
[  494.614599] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
[  494.615012] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwan0: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 0a:1b:c2:05:b8:6a
[  494.626748] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1: cdc-wdm1: USB WDM device
[  494.627254] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwan1: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:0e:00.0-1, WWAN/QMI device, 0a:1b:c2:05:b8:6a
[  494.671683] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.1 wwp14s0u1i1: renamed from wwan1
[  494.702148] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0 wwp14s0u1: renamed from wwan0
[  496.302176] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2
[  496.334158] qmi_wwan 3-1:1.0: unknown notification 32 received: index 0 len 2
I cannot see how to force the unbinding because the device isn;t visible until after the modeswitch

LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by LOM » Fri May 17, 2019 1:03 pm

wodgey wrote:
I cannot see how to force the unbinding because the device isn;t visible until after the modeswitch
So why don't you do the modeswitch first? That's where we started, so read the thread from the beginning and
do the steps from first post and forward in consecutive order.
Verify in your dmesg log after each step that you get the expected result.

(Drivers can not bind to interfaces that are not present and you can not do an unbind of a driver that has not yet been bound)

wodgey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by wodgey » Fri May 17, 2019 2:53 pm

LOM wrote:
wodgey wrote:
I cannot see how to force the unbinding because the device isn;t visible until after the modeswitch
So why don't you do the modeswitch first? That's where we started, so read the thread from the beginning and
do the steps from first post and forward in consecutive order.
Verify in your dmesg log after each step that you get the expected result.

(Drivers can not bind to interfaces that are not present and you can not do an unbind of a driver that has not yet been bound)
Ok I will try that first and then progress through the rest of the steps

wodgey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by wodgey » Fri May 17, 2019 3:35 pm

LOM wrote:
wodgey wrote:
I cannot see how to force the unbinding because the device isn;t visible until after the modeswitch
So why don't you do the modeswitch first? That's where we started, so read the thread from the beginning and
do the steps from first post and forward in consecutive order.
Verify in your dmesg log after each step that you get the expected result.

(Drivers can not bind to interfaces that are not present and you can not do an unbind of a driver that has not yet been bound)
does this look like it is in the correct order?

Code: Select all

sudo usb_modeswitch -v 161c -p f010 -W -M 55534243123456780000000000000606f50402527000000000000000000000

echo "161c f101" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

echo "3-1:1.1" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind

echo "3-1:1.0" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/unbind

echo "161c f101" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/new_id

sudo modprobe option
sudo modprobe qmi_wwan
sudo modprobe cdc_wdm

wodgey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by wodgey » Fri May 17, 2019 11:36 pm

my cpu thrashes at 100% usage with "qmi-proxy" :(
I guess that means the driver doesn't like my hardware?

wodgey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by wodgey » Sat May 18, 2019 2:53 pm

wodgey wrote:my cpu thrashes at 100% usage with "qmi-proxy" :(
I guess that means the driver doesn't like my hardware?
I've been playing and testing. dmesg -w is a lovely switch to append as it shows the system messages in realtime

I have installed modem-manager-gui and during ONE of my tests, I managed to see/read sms messages from the device and I could see the EE APN details, although couldn't get the connection to activate. I have since been unable to recreate this though :(

I have tried loading the modprobe modules in a different order and have tried unbinding the differing interfaces from qmi_wwan and from option. (swapping 3-1:1.0 and 3-1:1.1 strings that get echo'd into the new_id driver files)

as soon as I echo the vid:pid string into /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/new_id a process is spawned (qmi-proxy) that thrashes one cpu core at 100%.

I have attempted to probe for more info using qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --get-service-version-info but this also thrashes a cpu core at 100% and doesn't complete.

Am I just wasting my time here, trying to progress things further?

Should I perhaps try a different linux distro on different hardware or would the result likely be the same?

Am I tied to using WinBlows if I want to use the device as a USB Ethernet device rather than connecting to is via wi-fi? (to be clear, it doesn;t show as a modem in windows. The device looks like any other router with a dhcp server, connected via a USB ethernet interface -- This is the reason that I have been using ifconfig to see if a network is brought up)

LOM
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Koh Samui, TH

Re: "LTE MIFI" won't switch modes

Post by LOM » Sun May 19, 2019 12:22 pm

wodgey wrote: does this look like it is in the correct order?

Code: Select all

sudo usb_modeswitch -v 161c -p f010 -W -M 55534243123456780000000000000606f50402527000000000000000000000

echo "161c f101" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

echo "3-1:1.1" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/unbind

echo "3-1:1.0" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/unbind

echo "161c f101" | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/drivers/qmi_wwan/new_id

sudo modprobe option
sudo modprobe qmi_wwan
sudo modprobe cdc_wdm
It is ok but better if you move the modprobing so it comes before the echo, you can not use the new_id function or
the bind/unbind functions if the drivers are not loaded into memory.
wodgey wrote:my cpu thrashes at 100% usage with "qmi-proxy" :(
I guess that means the driver doesn't like my hardware?
Well, we don't know for sure that the net interface should be driven by qmi_wwan, it was my guess based on
the interface types of the device.

wodgey wrote: I have installed modem-manager-gui and during ONE of my tests, I managed to see/read sms messages from the device and I could see the EE APN details, although couldn't get the connection to activate. I have since been unable to recreate this though :(
That means that the interface using the option driver does listen to AT cmds.

This device has a wifi acess point, have you tried to connect to it wireless?
There is a built-in dhcp-server that will give you an ip address and a gateway address and there is probably a built in http server at the same address as the gateway.
If you open a browser to that address you will probably have a gui for configuration of the device. Is there any setting for enabling USB tethering?

If we don't do any progress then you may have to install wireshark & co on your Windows computer and sniff the
USB communication when Windows switches the device and initializes it.
There could be other interface compositions in the devices firmware, activated by a different other switch message than what we have used.

Post Reply