Automatic Activation, Hotplug and UDEV, Configuration
LOM

Re: Huawei ME906s-158 cannot connect

Post by LOM » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:32 am

tore wrote:
LOM wrote:What can be done in usb_modeswitch internally is always select config #0 first before selecting the final config. No need to check for active connection after having selected config #0, just send the final select directly after.
Yes, having the option to deconfigure the device before switching to the final config would be very helpful to support the Huawei ME906s-158 / HP lt4132. If such functionality is added, it might be wise to also make it possible to insert a configurable delay between deconfiguring it (selecting config #0) and entering the final configuration. I have a suspicion that the lt4132 might sometimes need a little bit of time to settle.
A user configurable delay might not be needed, just make it long enough.
Half a second for instance, it's not like a user would notice that as a longer startup time and it is a one-time-only thingy.

There is a modemmanager mailing list thread about this problem and I'm linking to the post where Björn Mork explains that Windows always goes via config #0 when selecting a new config.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 02840.html

Josh?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:50 pm

I'll check it out. My main problem is that to test with, I have only one single modem that provides multiple configurations ...

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Yes, I know, it did take long ...

Anyway, here is a test version of the usb_modeswitch core program. Just drop it into the source folder of the current release and re-make.

Two issues are addressed in this version:

- Driver detachment is now much more thorough, for every interface of the current configuration

- The device is set to initial configuration before applying the actual target configuration.

It runs quite well with my Alcatel X602d. I can switch configurations back and forth, without any complaints by the kernel about claimed interfaces. Note that " -u 0 " will still be ignored.
Attachments
usb-modeswitch.test.tgz
(16.77 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

tore

Post by tore » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:12 am

Hi Josh,

I tested with your updated files plus the attached patch to add support for the HP lt4132. I tried rebooting my laptop approx. a dozen times, and it worked all but once. The one time it didn't work, the config had been switched to #3, but the modem was still inoperable (as if it had been switched directly from #2 to #3).

I can't be sure but I have a suspicion that it might be because you didn't add any delay between the libusb_set_configuration(devh, -1); and libusb_set_configuration(devh, Configuration); calls.

Tore
Attachments
hp-lt4132.patch
Patch to add HP lt4132 to usb_modeswitch-data-20170205.
(1001 Bytes) Downloaded 543 times

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:06 am

tore wrote:delay between the libusb_set_configuration(devh, -1); and libusb_set_configuration(devh, Configuration);
I had thought about that but the testing with my modem didn't show any problems so I left it out.

If you want to try for yourself, just insert a wait in between:

Code: Select all

usleep(100000);
The waiting time is entered as microseconds, so here you have 100 milliseconds.

You should also be able to change the configuration cleanly on the command line now:

# usb_modeswitch -v 0x03f0 -p 0xa31d -W -u 2
If all goes according to plan (as it does here), usb_modeswitch should be triggered again immediately and set config #3 automatically. Repeat as often as you like - in theory the modem should be operative all the time.

LOM

Post by LOM » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:55 am

tore wrote:Hi Josh,

I tested with your updated files plus the attached patch to add support for the HP lt4132. I tried rebooting my laptop approx. a dozen times, and it worked all but once. The one time it didn't work, the config had been switched to #3, but the modem was still inoperable (as if it had been switched directly from #2 to #3).

I can't be sure but I have a suspicion that it might be because you didn't add any delay between the libusb_set_configuration(devh, -1); and libusb_set_configuration(devh, Configuration); calls.

Tore
If it works 11 times out of 12 then you should not need much of delay so I retract my earlier suggestion of 500mS, I think you'll find that Josh suggestion of 100mS (or even less) is enough.
It is so far only this Huawei card of all devices needing a configuration change that has the problem.

@Josh
If you are about to release a new build then also consider a Android switch message under HuaweiNewMode with a switch between them in the global config file.

tore

Post by tore » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 pm

It doesn't automatically switch back after selecting config #2, because changing the config doesn't trigger any udev events for the parent device, which in turn means usb_modeswitch doesn't get invoked.

Instead, I cooked up the following simple script to do some repetitive testing:

#!/bin/sh -e
echo -ne "\rSuccessful iterations: 0";
for i in {1..1000}; do
        echo 0 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-3/bConfigurationValue
        sleep 1
        echo 2 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-3/bConfigurationValue
        sleep 1
        udevadm trigger /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-3
        timeout 35 sh -c 'until mmcli -L | grep -q MBIM; do sleep 0.1; done'
        sleep 1
        echo -ne "\rSuccessful iterations: $i";
done
Using an usb_modeswitch without any added delay, I got the following reference results:

$ for i in {1..20}; do sudo ./test.sh; echo; done
Successful iterations: 3
Successful iterations: 2
Successful iterations: 0
Successful iterations: 26
Successful iterations: 11
Successful iterations: 10
Successful iterations: 40
Successful iterations: 6
Successful iterations: 1
Successful iterations: 7
Successful iterations: 6
I then added usleep(100000); immediately after ret = libusb_set_configuration(devh, -1);, recompiled usb_modeswitch, and tried again. The first round has now passed 250 successful iterations, and it's still going strong.

The conclusion is clear as day: a delay is obviously necessary for reliable switching, and 100ms seems sufficient.

Aurimas

Post by Aurimas » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 pm

tore wrote: I then added usleep(100000); immediately after ret = libusb_set_configuration(devh, -1);, recompiled usb_modeswitch, and tried again. The first round has now passed 250 successful iterations, and it's still going strong.

The conclusion is clear as day: a delay is obviously necessary for reliable switching, and 100ms seems sufficient.
I agree. Tried with a test version of usb_modeswitch without any delay. Only on 6th reboot modem started to work.
Added 100ms delay, recompiled. Now it works every time.

tore

Post by tore » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:20 pm

tore wrote:I tested with your updated files plus the attached patch to add support for the HP lt4132.
I'm reviving this old thread, as it would appear that the patch I sent to add support for the HP lt4132 has only been partially applied as of usb-modeswitch-data-20170806. The new file usb_modeswitch.d/03f0:a31d has been included, however, the corresponding udev rule in 40-usb_modeswitch.rules has not been. The result is that the HP lt4132 does not Just Work™ as intended.

Note that running gen-rules.tcl generates a new 40-usb_modeswitch.rules that does include the necessary udev rule:

# HP lt4132
ATTR{idVendor}=="03f0", ATTR{idProduct}=="a31d", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '/%k'"

Presumably this is an accidental omission, and ought to be included in the next release?

Tore

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:06 am

I'll have a look, thanks!