Automatic Activation, Hotplug and UDEV, Configuration
Dunkelheit

usb_modeswitch install problem

Post by Dunkelheit » 06 Jan 2018, 19:29

Hi. I have Irbis tz141 tablet with Android 4.4.2 and I want to use usb_modeswitch for ZTE MF823D 4g modem (with powered OTG cable), but I'm Linux-noob. It is said that I must use # make install command. I have all directories unpacked, have root and terminal emulator. SU command also works. But when I type make install I see sh: make not found. It is said that I must use apt-get or sudo command, but the results are the same: sh: apt-get not found, sh: sudo not found and so on, nothing is found. What should I do? Can you help me?

Josh
Site Admin

Re: usb_modeswitch install problem

Post by Josh » 08 Jan 2018, 15:52

On a normal Android, there are no development tools available. No compiler, no "make" tool.

usb_modeswitch wouldn't work automatically on Android either - its "hotplug" mechanism is totally different from standard Linux. So the set-up to run usb_modeswitch automatically when the modem is plugged in has not been configured for Android.

However, you can try the app "PPP Widget 3" which I provide in Google Play for free. It needs root access with SuperSU, so make sure that app is present and working.

PPP Widget 3 has the mode-switching built in. If you want to try a different app for connecting, you might have to add the target ID of your modem to the ignore list in the configuration.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » 08 Jan 2018, 19:42

Thanks. Well, it is commonly accepted that modem must be turned to "modem only" mode when used in Android. Does it mean that for using PPP Widget 3 it is not necessary and this program will switch modem to CDC mode regardless of the mode set up in Windows?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 08 Jan 2018, 20:34

It's actually better to leave it in default mode with the Windows installer enabled. You can screw it up badly if you tamper around with the permanent settings.

Yes, PPP Widget will do what usb_modeswitch does, and more. It comes with several protocols included, so it can use modem, ethernet and QMI ports.
If you enable logging in the configuration, you get some useful output about how the process of mode-switching and connecting is going (or not ...).

I indeed suggest to use external power for the modem; it may work for a while without it, but that can change if the tablet battery charge level is dropping.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » 02 Jul 2018, 16:37

Hi. I've tried 3 powered micro-usb hubs to solve my old problem, but neither of them charges my tablet even when there are no usb devices connected. It is said that for this purpose Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA) mode must be enabled. So, can I ask how to activate ACA mode?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 02 Jul 2018, 19:11

The idea of supplying power to the modem separately is not necessarily to charge the tablet at the same time.
I don't think that's inside the specifications of OTG, even if it works on some devices.

Anyway, it takes the heavy load of the modem away from the tablet's battery so that only the 'normal' usage applies.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » 02 Jul 2018, 20:28

Yes, but the problem is that charging does not work even without devices connected, which forces to suggest that it does not work at all precisely because of ACA.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » 15 Aug 2018, 14:47

Hi. Well, the situation when my tablet is not charging via micro-usb hub seems to be not as much bug as a feature. At least, the LED on my modem is working when connected only to hub with power and both modem and flash-drives are detected by usb-host software. But modem is still not found in PPP Widget 3 and I got the error "No configuration found for device preparation" in CDC mode.

When I connect in modem-only mode (not CDC), modem is found and there is "Connected!" indicator, modem is blinking sometimes green, sometimes blue, but network is not found on tablet and option "Mobile network"is blocked. What can it be?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 15 Aug 2018, 19:38

Hmm, I really need to see the "USB Log" from PPP Widget 3. Enable logging in the configuration (option at the very bottom) if you have not already done so.

Plug in your modem once again. When the notification field says ""No configuration found", open the configuration again and use the button "USB Log". When it opens, use the "Copy" button, then paste to a text file or directly into your post here.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » 16 Aug 2018, 00:21

I got it working in most modes, including CDC, so, unfortunately, I cannot get this message anymore. In CDC mode my log looks like this:

The strangest thing is that my tablet cannot find sim-card, because it is in modem now, and accordingly the option "Mobile network" is blocked. In spite of this, internet works on stable 3G speed (1.7 mb\s) and modem blinks stable green. All would be OK, but I cannot change it to LTE mode.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 16 Aug 2018, 20:24

Well, I can see the values I wanted to see in the log.

Do you have access to the modem through a browser? These ZTE modems usually provide a small web server where you can probably change some modem parameters.

By the way, PPP Widget does NOT use any of the Android mobility features. It was mainly designed to work on Wifi-only tablets which do not have any mobile capabilities. So it bypasses all that.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » 16 Aug 2018, 21:09

Josh wrote:Do you have access to the modem through a browser?
Yes, but there is no "LTE only" mode or something like that. If I use *#*#4636#*#* command I can choose "LTE Only", but my selection does not persist. Also commands like "http://192.168.0.1/goform/goform_set_cm ... e=Only_LTE" don't work ("result:failure").
Josh wrote:By the way, PPP Widget does NOT use any of the Android mobility features.
Is it an anwser why my tablet does not see sim-card?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 16 Aug 2018, 21:47

Dunkelheit wrote:Is it an anwser why my tablet does not see sim-card?
Yes, it is.

Are you sure that your modem doesn't always use the best available network setting?

That is the default for all modems I know. If they can't find LTE, they use 3G. If they can't find 3G, they go back to 2G.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » 16 Aug 2018, 23:55

Josh wrote:
Dunkelheit wrote:Is it an anwser why my tablet does not see sim-card?
Are you sure that your modem doesn't always use the best available network setting?
Well, it should be so, but I simply don't know it for sure. At least my indicator blinks green which must be 4g on my modem. Also, I had 6 mb\s 5 minutes ago, so it can be connection issues also.

OK, thanks. You can be assured that PPP Widget 3 works on Irbis TZ141 with ZTE MF823D and modem is found in most modes.

Also, powered hub or cable is needed for sure, I have "device resources" error when it is off.