Automatic Activation, Hotplug and UDEV, Configuration
guybrushthreepwood

FXS ports and voice

Post by guybrushthreepwood » 21 Jan 2023, 16:35

Hello! :) I apologize in advance because probably this isn't the best place to ask but not necessarily and that's why I'm here opening this thread. I regularly use usb_modeswitch with different devices (mainly from Huawei) to have 4G connection on my routers (mainly OpenWrt based ones) but, given that my plan gives not only a data but also a voice bundle, I was wondering if it is possible to use it.
I explain myself better. I own a Huawei B310s which does what I need (mobile data plus an RJ-11 port to connect analogue telephones for voice) but, being the software completely locked down, it misses a lot of features I need so I currently use it along with an OpenWrt box but, given that many OpenWrt capable routers already have FXS ports (intended for use with VoIP while my purpose is using the cellular voice service), I was wondering if hooking let's say an E3372h to an OpenWrt box I could achieve the same result without the need for the B310s anymore. Also, I don't know (but probably the answer is no) if something like USB RJ-11 ports do exist to be able to do the same with every OpenWrt box with just an empty USB port: overkill, I know! ;)
I'd like to underline that I expect everyting being much more complex than what my very limited knowledge lets me think. I expect the issue being the fact that an E3372h isn't just capable of handling voice so what I'm looking forward is just unfeasible due the hardware limitations and not missing phisical ports and that's why I'm writing here instead of the OpenWrt forum where I'm a member too. I expect the experts here know Huawei HW much better than there.
Thanks in advance for sharing your advices and points of view, even just for telling me I'm mad (I already know it! ;) ) and have a nice day! :)