Automatic Activation, Hotplug and UDEV, Configuration
guybrushthreepwood

Huawei E3372h HiLink LTE stick internal microsd reader handling

Post by guybrushthreepwood » 29 Apr 2023, 11:33

Hello to everyone. First of all, I'd like to make in advance my apologies because what I'm going to discuss here doesn't strictly relate to usb_modeswitch: I'm writing here too because the admins here have a very deep understanding of these devices (the deepest I can think of, just to be honest) and I'm confident I would be able to get some good advices here.
I own two OpenWRT routers which are exactly the same in two different and distant places and I get connection to the WAN by a Huawei E3372h: right now, I move the stick from a router to another with me but I also need to move an external card reader containing a microsd with an extroot (a way to put the OpenWRT root filesystem on an external media as the name says by itself) setup on it.
My goal is having almost the same router (same packages, same configuration etc.), no matter the place I'm at and I've achieved it but, given that the Huawei has a built-in card reader, I wanted to use it instead but I couldn't succeed.
I've already made an extensive research and found no resolutive solutions. There are claims it is linked to the cd-rom mode (to be honest, I didn't even think newer HiLink models have one before!) and/or usb_modeswitch making the switch (not because of a design flaw but just because it inevitably impacts on the internal card reader).
What I was wondering is that usb_modeswitch is installed, invoked etc. still on the extroot setup on that microsd like everything else so it shouldn't be the 'culprit' (not the culprit anyway, that's the reason for the quotation marks) because it just doesn't get invoked so no switching happens (at least not by usb_modeswitch): it just seems that the internal card reader doesn't work during boot stage while it works just fine if I leave extroot on the external card reader I'm using right now and I put another microsd inside the E3372h (just to mount it and access its contents, that's obvious).
My apologies again should starting this thread here be a breach of the forum rules (I hope not but, should it turn out to be the case, feel free to close it) and thanks in advance for your advices. Have a nice day! :)

Sebastian

Re: Huawei E3372h HiLink LTE stick internal microsd reader handling

Post by Sebastian » 02 Dec 2023, 07:43

If the delay were due to Linux accessing drivers and Windows-related data from the virtual CD-ROM, the response might have been a different error code, such as BUSY. It's plausible that the issue might be rooted in flawed firmware within the Realtek dongle. Pinpointing the exact problem might necessitate further investigation and testingbhulekh up.