Batteries included
Josh
Site Admin

Re: ZTE K3806-Z stuck at building connection

Post by Josh » 18 Jan 2017, 09:38

I have tried two SIM cards with the K3806, one is "non-Vodafone". Both connect, but it sometimes takes a long while.

If you want, post your new "USB Log" and "PPP Log". Maybe we can find out what the problem is.

artad

Post by artad » 18 Jan 2017, 22:31

Here are the logs, but I wonder these will help.
I've set up the APN to the hungarian Vodafone APN, 'internet.vodafone.net' user and password is 'guest', and the dial code is *99#
Connection is successful, but no internet at all.

Thanks again!
usb.log
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
ppp.log
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 433 times

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 19 Jan 2017, 16:30

Hmm, the connection looks perfect. There is just no data flowing.

Can you try once more with the default dial string (*99***1#), just for completeness' sake?
Also make sure there is something in the user and the password field. The actual content rarely matters.

If that does not help, then I strongly suspect the provider is to blame.

artad

Post by artad » 20 Jan 2017, 00:00

yup, same thing happened...
actually one more thing...as soon as it goes online the os lets me know that the PPP app wants to create a VPN connection, so if I click yes, a little key appears, if I click no, it disconnects...
is it necessary to create this vpn connection?

before you fixed the issue I did these steps...a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not sure it affects the whole thing:

(according to this website: http://ingignux.blogspot.hu/2012/12/con ... droid.html)

-no pin request

-block the key on the modem fuction:

a. connect the Vodafone Key to the PC
b. Run Putty
c. click on Serial
d. In the speed box write 460800
e. In the serial line box, write COM7
f. Click on the button Open

A terminal will open and type these commands:
i. ATE (result must be OK)
ii. AT%USBMODEM=0 (result must be [0] MODEM DRIVER)
iii. close the terminal

-configuration of the key

a. Connect the Vodafone Key to the tablet
b. Run Android Terminal emulator
c. type su (enter)
d. type echo "19d2 1014" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id (enter)

(dunno what it does and why did I do this by the way... :) )

artad

Post by artad » 20 Jan 2017, 16:50

Update: I've found another stick, but the same thing happened after testing, connects okay, but no internet. Sim card is okay, tested again in an android phone.
Could that VPN connection be the problem?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 20 Jan 2017, 19:30

You HAVE to confirm the VPN dialog. This is really the only way for a non-system program to create a network socket on the system level.
Note that there is no real VPN involved. It just provides a network socket that is programmatically controllable, so that I can link it to the USB port for the outside connection.

Did you have a look at the FAQ page yet?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 20 Jan 2017, 19:39

artad wrote:ii. AT%USBMODEM=0 (result must be [0] MODEM DRIVER)
I always discourage people from playing around with commands like these. It is easy to screw up a device permanently.

PPP Widget (1-3) handles that initial "mode switch" automatically. On Linux, every distribution I know has included the "usb_modeswitch" package which does the same job on desktop systems. You have probably noticed that it originates from this site as well ...
artad wrote:d. type echo "19d2 1014" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
This is only required if the modem driver (with the stupid name "option") does not know the modem yet. However, your modem is not a very recent model. You shouldn't have to do anything manually when using a fairly current desktop Linux.

Edit: maybe I misread your post. Don't do this on Android. PPP Widget 3 does not need the kernel driver - many Wifi-only devices don't have it included. So PPP Widget 3 has it's own drivers on the Android/Java level.

artad

Post by artad » 20 Jan 2017, 21:05

As I've mentioned, I did a test with an "untouched", unmodified modem, accepted the VPN, connected fine, but no net still.

Please let me know if any ideas come up.

Thank you

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 21 Jan 2017, 17:47

O.K., so I think we excluded all issues on the Android/app side.

This directs the focus on the modem/SIM side.
  • Since the modem is used for the specified provider, locking can't be the issue
  • If the APN were incorrect, the PPP connection wouldn't even build
  • Do you know of any restrictions that your data plan contains? There were reports about cases where some setups were explicitely excluded and these setups were detected by the provider.
Other than that, I'm out of ideas ...

artad

Post by artad » 21 Jan 2017, 21:20

Just ran through the manual of the unit and it says it only accepts Huawei E173 mobilestick...well that makes sense because I'm also out of ideas... :)
But...can this be the problem? I mean...both of the sticks I have (one of them is the ZTE, I don't know about the other) can connect and the unit and the PPP app accepts them.
Umm...if they are correct and the unit only works with that Huawei, I assume that the app and the unit wouldn't recognize the other modems at all.

Am I right?

Anyway I need to get a Huawei E173 stick. :)

artad

Post by artad » 31 Jan 2017, 23:06

update:

finally I have a Huawei E173, but the same thing happens, after connect, no internet at all.

in the meantime I've found a document which says that if I don't have internet traffic after connection then I might have to set up DNS addresses manually (primary and secondary).
(Primary: 80.244.97.30 and secondary: 80.244.96.1 for Vodafone Hungary)

would that be possible for you to add this feature?

thanks in advance

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 31 Jan 2017, 23:32

I still think there is some kind of block from the provider.

Regarding the DNS addresses - here is what your log said:

Code: Select all

DNS1: 80.244.97.30
    DNS2: 80.244.98.166
These DNS addresses are provided by the peer (your provider), and the first one - which is generally used - is identical to one of those that you suggested.
The first online test by PPP Widget 3 is a simple name query on that first DNS server. As your log indicates, there is no reply at all:

Send initial IP packet ...
No IP reply for 3 seconds. Just assume we are online
This is how it's supposed to look like:

Send initial IP packet ...
First IP packet received - we are online
PPP negotiation finished
The last advise that I can possible think of is installing "Wireshark" and analyzing a working connection (on Windows perhaps).
That's ... a bit on the adventurous side - but that is what I would do. PPP Widget 3 has a lesser known feature to add custom setup commands in a simple text file, so if you find a suspicious AT command it might be possible to 'replay' it on Android.

artad

Post by artad » 01 Feb 2017, 00:27

Thank you Josh I will try it and let you know about the results.

artad

Post by artad » 06 Feb 2017, 10:14

Hi

Well...this is the info that I've got from the seller:

"hello friend

our radio only fit WIFI type 3G modem. you can see below link type. this type is wifi type. you can buy such type in your country or buy it from our shop. "

So according to this the head unit only provides the power supply and I can set up with this kind of dongle a WIFI network, and after that it can connect to the network.

But isn't it strange that the head unit recognizes the modem and able to connect fine so it could work somehow not only with WIFI dongle?