Batteries included
manoflinux

ppp widget unable to see my usb modem

Post by manoflinux » 15 Apr 2015, 16:15

I am able to use it in linux on the same machine and I did a diff of lsmod to show which modules are loaded when I plug it in.
> option 33967 0
> usb_wwan 19733 1 option
> qcaux 12529 0
> usbserial 38902 3 qcaux,option,usb_wwan
> cdc_acm 27963 0

The same kernel modules exist in android(although cdc_acm is called cdc-acm) but never seem to be loaded when I insert it under android.
I tried loading them by hand and the /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyUSBx ones to show up after playing with it for a couple of hours(loading and unload modules)
but even then I still got the no driver message.
Now after rebooting I can't get it happen again, not sure what I did to make it happen the first time! after awhile I just checked /dev and the files were there.

Although here is a tidbit, used to it seems you would pass the vendor and products id via the command line on the modprobe loading of usbserial.
but now you do modify a file that gets created when you load the module and for the option module, not the usbserial.
I found this on linux and found it under a similar directory on android(find / -name new_id is your friend)
/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

So I dont seem to be missing any modules(unless you know of some more I need to check for), but it still doesn't load.

Also I am running on androidx86 on a intel based tablet so if you are going to send me a module I cant use it unless its x86.

Any ideas?
Last edited by manoflinux on 16 Apr 2015, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

Josh
Site Admin

Re: ppp widget unable to see my usb modem

Post by Josh » 15 Apr 2015, 16:57

Please specify what modem you are using.

Please try with PPP Widget 2 also.

Please post USB log (and PPP log if available) after you have enabled "Logging" in the configuration.

manoflinux

Post by manoflinux » 16 Apr 2015, 03:23

I did try PPP widget 2, same thing, but untill the dirvers load its not going to make any difference.

I am using a u600 franklin.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 16 Apr 2015, 07:50

Please post the USB log of PPP Widget 2 (enable "Logging" in the configuration, re-plug your modem, open configuration again and press button "USB log").

manoflinux

Post by manoflinux » 16 Apr 2015, 13:58

Josh wrote:Please post the USB log of PPP Widget 2 (enable "Logging" in the configuration, re-plug your modem, open configuration again and press button "USB log").
Checking out device 08ff:2590
Checking out device 0a5c:2191
Checking out device 0781:559e

Like I said until the driver loads and /dev/ttyACM0(orUSBX) gets created I dont think it will do anything.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 16 Apr 2015, 15:57

PPP Widget 2 does not depend on kernel drivers, that's the main advantage.

However, both variants of PPP Widget need standard serial ports. Newer modems often come with cdc-ether ports which can not be used by these apps.

In your case though, the modem is not even listed as connected. It should show up as 1fac:0150 in the log.

Two possible causes:

1. You are not using an external power source for the modem (powered USB hub)

2. The modem ID is blacklisted by the manufacturer so that it does not even 'trigger' the widget

manoflinux

Post by manoflinux » 17 Apr 2015, 01:28

Josh wrote:PPP Widget 2 does not depend on kernel drivers, that's the main advantage.

However, both variants of PPP Widget need standard serial ports. Newer modems often come with cdc-ether ports which can not be used by these apps.

In your case though, the modem is not even listed as connected. It should show up as 1fac:0150 in the log.

Two possible causes:

1. You are not using an external power source for the modem (powered USB hub)

2. The modem ID is blacklisted by the manufacturer so that it does not even 'trigger' the widget
I don't think 1 is the case because it works fine under linux on the same machine with no changes in hardware or how its hooked up.

I dont think 2 is the case because its android x86 on a laptop.

When I read the other thread about the "no drivers" issue there was tons of talk about kernel drivers so I guess that thread was not about ppp widget 2?

Does that sound right or did I miss something?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 17 Apr 2015, 11:28

The main reason why I started PPP Widget 2 was that Google changed the kernel for its devices from Android 4.3, disabling kernel modules altogether. So users could not extend the USB capabilities of their devices anymore by adding driver modules to the stock kernel.

Everything you read referring to kernel modules in this forum applies only to PPP Widget 1.

Anyway, there must be a problem with the x86 Android if the modem does not appear in the list of USB devices on the Java level.

Can you test if it's visible on the system level, by checking out the devices in /sys/bus/usb/devices?

The directory should be named in the form "n-n" or "n-n.n" and there are attribute files in there called "idVendor" and "idProduct" which you can read/display. The content should match the ID that I gave in my previous post.

manoflinux

Post by manoflinux » 18 Apr 2015, 01:49

So if I down grade to 4.2 do you think it would work? I dont need the newest androidx86, just want it to work.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 19 Apr 2015, 00:14

I can't give any guarantees whatsoever. Also, you would be dependent on kernel modules exactly matching your kernel version.

First you may want to try PPP Widget 2, version 1.2.1 that I have just uploaded to Google Play (will likely take several hours to be public).
I have changed some bits with regard to modem detection - maybe that will help (I need to see the USB log again if it does not).

manoflinux

Post by manoflinux » 19 Apr 2015, 03:05

Josh wrote:I can't give any guarantees whatsoever. Also, you would be dependent on kernel modules exactly matching your kernel version.

First you may want to try PPP Widget 2, version 1.2.1 that I have just uploaded to Google Play (will likely take several hours to be public).
I have changed some bits with regard to modem detection - maybe that will help (I need to see the USB log again if it does not).
Wow thanks! I really appreciate you trying to help me with this!
if it works I will send you a paypal doncation or something!

manoflinux

Post by manoflinux » 19 Apr 2015, 05:38

also is it a bad idea to have both version 1 and 2 installed? I dont have them on the home screen at the same time, I delete one and then add the other.
but since it sounds like 2 compeltely replaces 1 I will just uninstall it.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 19 Apr 2015, 07:29

It's not possible to have both versions installed at the same time. Both have the same list of USB devices that they will 'apply' for as the default app.

Which version you prefer once they both work depends on your taste. However, PPP Widget 1 will likely not be developed much further. PPP Widget 2 now runs on Android 5, and the limitations of the kernels since 4.3 (no more adding of kernel drivers) will not go away anymore, making PPP Widget 2 the only road to follow.

rosydam

Post by rosydam » 21 Mar 2024, 09:50

Join a welcoming and supportive community of fellow slither io enthusiasts who are always ready to offer advice, encouragement, and camaraderie. Together, you'll celebrate victories and overcome challenges.