I gave it "Beta" status, but have tested it quite a bit with several tablets and modems; it should be useable, however do be prepared to hit unexpected obstacles ...
"PPP Widget 2" does not seem different when you look at it, but it has been fundamentally re-written; there is hardly any old code left.
The main differences from the original version are as follows:
- No more driver modules needed (the primary reason for the re-write); it now runs on devices where driver module loading has been disabled
- No more "pppd", "chat" and "usb_modeswitch" binaries; it's mostly plain Java now
- The minimum Android version required is 4.0
- To create a network interface, the official ("legal") API for VPN connections is used
- Access configuration now bound to SIM card; you get a "profile" per SIM (auto-loading)
- A proper "About" dialog
- Translations need updating; many of the old strings are re-used, but there are several new ones; I will once more beg for help as soon as I have re-organized the string files ...
- Custom AT commands are not implemented yet, but will be eventually