Batteries included
Ahmed Wiz

A Very Special Request for PPP Widget 2 for Josh

Post by Ahmed Wiz » 09 Dec 2015, 21:29

Thanks Josh for the last PPP Widget 2 v1.4.3 updates. Please I have a little request for PPP Widget 2. PPP Widget 2 uses VPN to re-route all network requests, and as we all know, only one VPN connection is allowed on any android phone; some users of PPP Widgets have VPN applications (even paid ones) to use on their Internet connection, and once PPP widget 2 establishes its own VPN, no other one is allowed.

What if PPP Widget 2 is re-developed, re-programmed & re-configured to use IPTables (instead of VPN), which also re-routes Network requests, so PPP Widget 2 using IpTables, then users of paid & free VPN can now connect to the Net using the PPP Widget 2 connections.

This will be a very welcomed development to all users of secured VPN connections: In Summary. PPP Widget 2 should use IPTables (instead of VPN), then we (the users) can NOW USE & ESTABLISH OUR OWN VPN connections.

This might be a lot to ask for, from you Josh, considering that you may be very busy at the time, but please give my request due consideration, and I'm very much positively looking forward to this new beta development.

Thank you so much for your kindly consideration!

Josh
Site Admin

Re: A Very Special Request for PPP Widget 2 for Josh

Post by Josh » 10 Dec 2015, 08:45

There is a basic misunderstanding:

PPP Widget 2 does not need the Android VPN feature for redirection.

The reason for using it is simply that there is no other way to create a network interface from user level.
Note that PPP Widget 2 doesn't do actual VPN. The Android API allows applications to do what they want behind the "tun" interface. It doesn't have to be VPN-related - PPP Widget 2 is just doing what the pppd/chat combo would do to provide a "ppp" interface.

The reason why pppd/chat can't be used (they are still present in the standard Android) is that these programs need access to a modem on the kernel level.
Many devices lack the necessary modem drivers; they can be post-loaded as modules, but since Android 4.3 the post-loading of kernel drivers was disabled globally by the Android developers.
The result: no more regular pppd access to modems.

This was the main reason for leaving PPP Widget (1) behind which is using pppd/chat and can be used for real VPN - but only if the modem drivers are build into the kernel by the manufacturer ...

Ahmed Wiz

Post by Ahmed Wiz » 10 Dec 2015, 14:18

When I use Psiphon with PPP Widget 2; Psiphon's VPN cancels out that of PPP Widget 2 thereby defecting the Internet connection. All I'm asking is that a way should be provided that I & many others should be able to use 3rd party VPNs with PPP Widget's Internet, without issues. And I do hope you would be able to provide an effective solution to this in due time. Thank you for your reply!!!

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 10 Dec 2015, 18:58

Maybe I did not say it clearly enough:

Real VPN over PPP Widget 2 will never work!

Not because I don't want it - it's just impossible ...
PPP Widget 2 needs the VPN connection to work, and there can only be one at a time.

Ahmed Wiz

Post by Ahmed Wiz » 10 Dec 2015, 19:36

Josh wrote:Maybe I did not say it clearly enough:

Real VPN over PPP Widget 2 will never work!

Not because I don't want it - it's just impossible ...
PPP Widget 2 needs the VPN connection to work, and there can only be one at a time.
Now this is VERY clear enough! This was the kind of solution I was expecting. Anyways, I will enjoy the app as it is. Thanks for your wonderful & useful app. More power to your elbow, Josh, and have a great day!