Batteries included
MiGrub

A "real"VPN for/within PPP Widget ?

Post by MiGrub » 19 Aug 2018, 09:53

In the FAQs section of http://www.draisberghof.de/android/pppwidget3.html the appearance of PPP Widget 3 as a "virtual"-VPN :wink: is mentioned as follows:
"If the connection is made, there is a pop-up window asking ... to accept a VPN connection created by PPP Widget 3. ... Note that PPP Widget 3 does not really do VPN; unfortunately, due to that trick there can be no real VPN while PPP Widget 3 is connected."
Since I have to use a VPN to connect to my workplace's intranet, my question is, if there is any chance to integrate/plugin/chainup/pipethrough/ :idea: a real VPN WITHIN PPP Widget?

Josh
Site Admin

Re: A "real"VPN for/within PPP Widget ?

Post by Josh » 20 Aug 2018, 08:44

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this. PPP Widget has to use the VPN API in order to create a network interface from the USB API. Since there is only one use of the VPN system service possible at any time, this prevents using VPN over PPP Widget's connection.

MiGrub

Re: A "real"VPN for/within PPP Widget ?

Post by MiGrub » 21 Aug 2018, 00:03

My question was more meant like:

If PPP Widget 3 uses Android's VPN-API anyway, why cannot this VPN-API be setup in a way, that it provides real VPN-functionality in addition to being used as to create a network interface to the USB-API?

(Obviously I have no knowledge at all in programming the Android-System, so my question surely looks foolish to an expert! I am asking just because of curiosity) :|