Batteries included
Josh
Site Admin

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by Josh » 14 Dec 2018, 16:24

I have to test two more tablets tonight. After that, I will provide the new release - also tonight.

The result from my 12 other tablets so far is that Android 4 through 7 (!) does not work with the system USB stack. PPP Widget actually crashes rather sooner than later in all these cases.

ONLY with Android 8 (and presumably the following versions) can the custom USB stack be disabled. In the case of my PX5, this seems to be even mandatory.

I have yet to add a warning dialogue for the new configuration option, for people who are trying to disable the custom stack in Android < 8. Then the app is ready for release.

Please stand by ...

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 14 Dec 2018, 16:31

ojuniour wrote:Thanks and keep up the good work. You definitely deserve a donation..I don't care what you think.
What I think is that I'm quite content knowing that I'd deserve a donation 8)

Thanks anyway!

blinkbp

Post by blinkbp » 14 Dec 2018, 16:41

Josh wrote: I have to test two more tablets tonight. After that, I will provide the new release - also tonight.
That's what we want to hear!
Josh wrote:
ojuniour wrote:Thanks and keep up the good work. You definitely deserve a donation..I don't care what you think.

Thanks anyway!
That too, actually. :P

Can't wait for the update. Make sure to attach info on how we could donate as well. ;)

ojuniour

Post by ojuniour » 14 Dec 2018, 22:25

blinkbp wrote:
Josh wrote: I have to test two more tablets tonight. After that, I will provide the new release - also tonight.
That's what we want to hear!
Josh wrote:

Thanks anyway!
That too, actually. :P

Can't wait for the update. Make sure to attach info on how we could donate as well. ;)
We will always love you man. :wink:

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 14 Dec 2018, 23:51

I have released the update, albeit as a closed beta test. There are some changes that I don't want to publish for everyone yet.

I have taken the liberty to add the e-mail addresses of all participants in this thread to the tester list. If you use a different address for login to the Play Store, send me a PM with it.

If the mail is correct, go to:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/de ... pppwidget3

There you can "opt-in" to be an active tester.
For any feedback, just use this thread.

More about the changes:

1. I'm not sure anymore if the thing with the native USB stack is actually relevant. My modems are working with both variants now.
Anyway, you can play around with the new config option (the second one under "Troubleshooting").

2. Annother change targets the "ril-daemon" which is supposed to be responsible for the communication between system and modem. It is now stopped as soon as PPP Widget is activated, so it should not interfere with the modem communication.

In addition, I also have disabled (renamed) usb_modeswitch manually. This helps only with non-Huawei modems. There seems to be a kernel patch from Huawei applied that does the mode-switching in the kernel, so PPP Widget can't control that.
Fortunately, E3272 and E3372 end up in the mode that PPP Widget can use.

As I said, I have no problem cutting power to the HU, switch it back on and boot, with the modem always connected. There seems to be a problem in the Hal9k firmware that keeps it from remembering the USB app association (and other settings), so it asks every time. Apart from that, all tested modems work nicely.
Sometimes when freshly plugged in, the modem is not discovered instantly. A short tap on the PPP Widget logo helps with that.

ojuniour

Post by ojuniour » 15 Dec 2018, 10:49

Much appreciated.
I will use the closed beta to test it with the Huawei E397u-53 on the joying px5 android 8.0 stereo and will report back.

madeesseetmoi

Post by madeesseetmoi » 15 Dec 2018, 17:40

Josh wrote:I have released the update, albeit as a closed beta test. There are some changes that I don't want to publish for everyone yet.

I have taken the liberty to add the e-mail addresses of all participants in this thread to the tester list. If you use a different address for login to the Play Store, send me a PM with it.

If the mail is correct, go to:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/de ... pppwidget3

There you can "opt-in" to be an active tester.
For any feedback, just use this thread.

More about the changes:

1. I'm not sure anymore if the thing with the native USB stack is actually relevant. My modems are working with both variants now.
Anyway, you can play around with the new config option (the second one under "Troubleshooting").

2. Annother change targets the "ril-daemon" which is supposed to be responsible for the communication between system and modem. It is now stopped as soon as PPP Widget is activated, so it should not interfere with the modem communication.

In addition, I also have disabled (renamed) usb_modeswitch manually. This helps only with non-Huawei modems. There seems to be a kernel patch from Huawei applied that does the mode-switching in the kernel, so PPP Widget can't control that.
Fortunately, E3272 and E3372 end up in the mode that PPP Widget can use.

As I said, I have no problem cutting power to the HU, switch it back on and boot, with the modem always connected. There seems to be a problem in the Hal9k firmware that keeps it from remembering the USB app association (and other settings), so it asks every time. Apart from that, all tested modems work nicely.
Sometimes when freshly plugged in, the modem is not discovered instantly. A short tap on the PPP Widget logo helps with that.
Hello,
I've subscrided as a tester, updated ppp but I have an error :
Licence
Google play licence is missing, trying to search
(message is in French, trying to translate)
I use the same e-mail address

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 15 Dec 2018, 22:22

madeesseetmoi wrote: I've subscrided as a tester, updated ppp but I have an error :
Licence
Google play licence is missing, trying to search
Oh, shoot !!

That was entirely my fault, I did not add the version-specific license file.

I have just uploaded a new release with the missing file. The version code is 78, or "1.7.8beta". It should be available after a short while.

Sorry about that.

ojuniour

Post by ojuniour » 16 Dec 2018, 03:00

"modem requires pin"
My modem is unlocked and with fine on my computer and the previous pp widget 3 version. What changed regarding pin requirement? I can't get in at all.

EDIT: Nevermind..I forgot to configure my network's APN.

EDIT 2: the problem still persists in 1.7.8 beta. Rebooting the system and ppp is stuck at "searching for modem" until you disconnect USB and connect us again :/

it is almost like the system aleady took over the usb before the system is fully loaded and too late for ppp to get the 'hand-over'. It is an exact situation to this threa (http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... f=6&t=2814)

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 16 Dec 2018, 12:03

ojuniour wrote:"modem requires pin"
My modem is unlocked and with fine on my computer and the previous pp widget 3 version. What changed regarding pin requirement? I can't get in at all.

Hmm, that's still a bogus message. It should say "APN invalid". I'll fix that.
ojuniour wrote:the problem still persists in 1.7.8 beta. Rebooting the system and ppp is stuck at "searching for modem" until you disconnect and connect us again :/
We have to do this differently then, as my headunit can't replicate that problem ...

Let's make sure this is the exact sequence that you see:

1. Modem working normally
2. Power to HU cut completely (or is there standby power?)
3. After booting again, PPP Widget shows a blank message area
4. You just wait until PPP Widget activates (it gets the BOOT_COMPLETED signal from system)
5. PPP Widget starts its process, but hangs at "Searching for modem"

Is that correct?

ojuniour

Post by ojuniour » 16 Dec 2018, 12:41

Josh wrote:
ojuniour wrote:"modem requires pin"

Hmm, that's still a bogus message. It should say "APN invalid". I'll fix that.
ojuniour wrote:the problem still persists in 1.7.8 beta. Rebooting the system and ppp is stuck at "searching for modem" until you disconnect and connect us again :/
We have to do this differently then, as my headunit can't replicate that problem ...

4. You just wait until PPP Widget activates (it gets the BOOT_COMPLETED signal from system)

Is that correct?
yup..
it waits for few seconds or so... then the widget comes out of the "greyed out state" state and a quick "checking" followed by "search for modem" message and it hangs there.. It doesn't matter if I restart or completely shut the unit (by shutting off the car for like half an hour). I still get same message. By the way sleep mode is disabled for on my unit. so when I turn off the car the unit turns off completely and the usb modem also shuts off (after few seconds). As soon as the unit boots up .. the usb modem starts the normal "connecting sequence":

modem sequence:
1: Green light beep only twice (every 2 secs) which represents the modem powering on, and then stops beeping for like 4 seconds.
2. Then Blue light beep (continuous beep every 2 secs) which represents that "The USB modem is registering with a 3G/4G network".
And it continues in the second state forever- from booting to android and ppp widget being activated and getting stuck at "search for modem"

Normal sequence when I do remove the usb (while the system is fully loaded and ppp widget is activated) and then plug it back in, right after the first sequence (the two green beep ) and before thee second sequence. Ppp widget starts to do the checkup and connecting sequence. And when it is successfully connected, the blue light stops blinking and stays blue (which means i'm connected to a 3G network).

I have tried increasing the wait time for up 15 seconds (d15), ent trough check/unchecking some settings in the config..but still thesame :(

madeesseetmoi

Post by madeesseetmoi » 16 Dec 2018, 13:17

Josh wrote:We have to do this differently then, as my headunit can't replicate that problem ...

Is that correct?
I also have Search for modem even with this beta version, it works if I then use my usb switch

Edit : the two next tests were ok, I'll continue testing
Edit 2 : on third test it was not ok, I had to use my usb switch. I had message "Search for modem"
Last edited by madeesseetmoi on 17 Dec 2018, 14:55, edited 2 times in total.

henrysinn

Post by henrysinn » 17 Dec 2018, 04:10

Hi Josh

Won't be able to test until late Jan.
About to go on bus' trip

Feedback from me then (sorry)

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 17 Dec 2018, 18:48

henrysinn wrote:Won't be able to test until late Jan.
About to go on bus' trip

Feedback from me then (sorry)
No problem, it took long enough to arrive where we are now, so annother few weeks don't matter.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 17 Dec 2018, 18:52

madeesseetmoi wrote:Edit : the two next tests were ok, I'll continue testing
Edit 2 : on third test it was not ok, I had to use my usb switch. I had message "Search for modem"
Ugh, bugs like these are ugly ... I'd rather see a clear error.
"Works sometimes" is so analog ...

On the other hand, there is still hope that there may be a solution. This looks indeed like a timing issue.
I will add some options to the configuration to test this theory.