Batteries included
henrysinn
Posts: 24
Joined: 25 Aug 2018, 10:11

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by henrysinn » 11 Oct 2018, 15:19

If it re-sets the USB (same as taking it out and putting it back in again)...

It will work..

VERY sloppy work-around.
Looking forward to what @josh finds

henrysinn
Posts: 24
Joined: 25 Aug 2018, 10:11

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by henrysinn » 02 Nov 2018, 08:06

Josh wrote:I have ordered a PX5 octacore car system with Android 8. I should soon be able to analyze it.
Hi Josh.

Any thoughts or updates?

Josh
Site Admin
Posts: 6569
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 00:30

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by Josh » 03 Nov 2018, 09:33

Well, the expected "soon" was a bit optimistic ...

My PX5 car system took a while to make obviously. It was shipped on Oct. 20 and is currently processed at customs in Germany. I've just sent a complicated customs declaration in two copies to the agency. I assume I'll have to pay sales tax and tarrif before the thing is cleared for delivery.

What fun!

blinkbp
Posts: 4
Joined: 02 Dec 2018, 19:55

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by blinkbp » 02 Dec 2018, 20:08

Any update on this matter?

I have the same problem with my px5 head unit. I've created a simple delayer using a 555 timer which delayed the connection of the modem as far as one minute after the head unit wakes up from sleep. Still, the problem persisted. That's really odd if you ask me. Hopefully you will be able to debug this problem with hardware of your own.

henrysinn
Posts: 24
Joined: 25 Aug 2018, 10:11

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by henrysinn » 03 Dec 2018, 12:23

Josh wrote:Well, the expected "soon" was a bit optimistic ...

My PX5 car system took a while to make obviously. It was shipped on Oct. 20 and is currently processed at customs in Germany. I've just sent a complicated customs declaration in two copies to the agency. I assume I'll have to pay sales tax and tarrif before the thing is cleared for delivery.

What fun!

Any findings @Josh with your new unit?

Josh
Site Admin
Posts: 6569
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 00:30

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by Josh » 03 Dec 2018, 20:59

I have the thing on my desk now.

To be honest, I first tried to get the external DAB+ module working - and ended up decompiling and rewriting the crappy app that was supposed to control that module ...

Sorry, but it was stronger than me :!:

I'll start working with PPP Widget right at this moment. I have already spotted the "usb_modeswitch" tool in "/vendor/bin". With a bit of luck, it will be enough to rename it so that it can't get in the way when attaching modems.

henrysinn
Posts: 24
Joined: 25 Aug 2018, 10:11

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by henrysinn » 04 Dec 2018, 00:26

Looking forward to your findings @josh

You might want to know about https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... m-t3815848 if you don't already

I have a SOFIA unit and run https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... 9-t3742482

blinkbp
Posts: 4
Joined: 02 Dec 2018, 19:55

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by blinkbp » 06 Dec 2018, 17:01

Josh wrote:I have already spotted the "usb_modeswitch" tool in "/vendor/bin". With a bit of luck, it will be enough to rename it so that it can't get in the way when attaching modems.
If only it was that easy. You got me excited there for a second. :wink:

Josh
Site Admin
Posts: 6569
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 00:30

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by Josh » 08 Dec 2018, 10:14

Unfortunately, I have trouble to make the E3372 work in the first place ...

I did not re-flash the unit yet. It's still the stock firmware, just rooted with this method:

https://hvdwolf.github.io/Joying-RootAs ... oting.html

The connection to the modem is disrupted when trying to dial. Also, the mode switch is obviously done in the kernel (thanks to a bloody patch that Huawei is promoting). So neither usb_modeswitch nor PPP Widget are able to do anything.

At least the modem arrives in the correct mode (HUAWEI_NCM) but I haven't been able to connect even once so far.

NoNick
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Dec 2018, 17:44

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by NoNick » 11 Dec 2018, 17:51

Josh wrote:Unfortunately, I have trouble to make the E3372 work in the first place ...

I did not re-flash the unit yet. It's still the stock firmware, just rooted with this method:

https://hvdwolf.github.io/Joying-RootAs ... oting.html

The connection to the modem is disrupted when trying to dial. Also, the mode switch is obviously done in the kernel (thanks to a bloody patch that Huawei is promoting). So neither usb_modeswitch nor PPP Widget are able to do anything.

At least the modem arrives in the correct mode (HUAWEI_NCM) but I haven't been able to connect even once so far.
I have the same issue with E3372. I rooted my Joying using the same method, I've installed PPP Widget 3, plugged E3372 and couldn't get it to connect.

madeesseetmoi
Posts: 15
Joined: 26 Sep 2018, 14:22

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by madeesseetmoi » 11 Dec 2018, 20:42

Josh wrote:Unfortunately, I have trouble to make the E3372 work in the first place ...

I did not re-flash the unit yet. It's still the stock firmware, just rooted with this method:

https://hvdwolf.github.io/Joying-RootAs ... oting.html

The connection to the modem is disrupted when trying to dial. Also, the mode switch is obviously done in the kernel (thanks to a bloody patch that Huawei is promoting). So neither usb_modeswitch nor PPP Widget are able to do anything.

At least the modem arrives in the correct mode (HUAWEI_NCM) but I haven't been able to connect even once so far.
Hello,
Maybe you could try this rom ?
I'm using it since more than two months, it works great and I get connected (but as you know I have to unplug and re-plug the E3372h key, in fact I use my usb switch)

Josh
Site Admin
Posts: 6569
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 00:30

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by Josh » 12 Dec 2018, 00:24

Funny, I have just installed that ...

It's a lot better than the stock ROM, and installation was fairly easy.

However, I still wasn't able to get any of my modems running. So I have played around with PPP Widget and added an option to use the system USB code.

(Explanation: the Android USB code up to version 7 has a stupid bug that prevents the efficient usage of the USB API. PPP Widget includes the essential parts of the USB API, down to the native C code, in a corrected version. For me, that was the only way to use Android 4-7 properly with USB.)

As soon as I made that change, my modems started working. And even better - I entered stand-by, rebooted, shut down, cut the power, and everytime my E3372 came back and just worked.

It's still possible that my hardware is different from the Joying, but I think it's not very likely, as the USB system is usually integrated with the processor (SoC).

Right now I'm testing all my tablets, with all sorts of Android versions, and noting down which works with the non-native (=system) USB code. Once this is done, I'll define sensible default settings for that option. I assume that Android 8 has finally fixed the bug, so it wouldn't need the native code.

So I ask for a little more patience until I release a new version of PPP Widget.

madeesseetmoi
Posts: 15
Joined: 26 Sep 2018, 14:22

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by madeesseetmoi » 12 Dec 2018, 00:35

Josh wrote:Funny, I have just installed that ....
Great! I also have not a Joying unit
If you need a tester you can contact me :wink:

henrysinn
Posts: 24
Joined: 25 Aug 2018, 10:11

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by henrysinn » 12 Dec 2018, 02:39

Great news / update Josh

Looking forward to next

ojuniour
Posts: 12
Joined: 14 Dec 2018, 10:46

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by ojuniour » 14 Dec 2018, 10:49

madeesseetmoi wrote:
Josh wrote:Funny, I have just installed that ....
Great! I also have not a Joying unit
If you need a tester you can contact me :wink:
Any updates on the current release?

Thanks and keep up the good work. You definitely deserve a donation..I don't care what you think.

Post Reply